Chapter 39

Once Michael and Suriel had arrived, the only thing left for them to do was damage control. Not really sure how much damage control they could do seeing as I'd burnt half the roof of Notre Dame. 

The world was upset, grieving over what was lost in the fire. Hell, even I was grieving over what was lost. But I knew it was necessary. I never would've been able to keep the Demons at bay if I hadn't unleashed my soul, and I'd minimized the damage the best I could've by directing the blast up and out rather than down. 

Allison had insisted on rushing Siena back home to Vivianne, who apparently was a nurse and could reset the bones in her ankle so it could heal. I still couldn't fly, and Allison could only carry Siena, so I was stranded here. Unfortunately, my dislocated wing meant I couldn't pull them back in with my soul, so I was pretty much hiding out in the smoldering church away from prying eyes. I didn't need an Awakened on my hands. 

The firemen had doused the blaze entirely now and had managed to save some of the pieces inside the church from the flames, and luckily, hadn't seen Grey or I yet. We were hiding in the back corner of the church, away from all of the burned remains, hoping anyone who came inside would focus their attentions to the damage. We sat on the marble ground about ten feet away from each other, resting our heads back against the cool stone walls. The only light back here was provided by two flickering candles on the wall above us. 

"We can't stay here forever. They'll find us," Grey mumbled, his voice coarse and gruff from the smoke. 

"Well you're not healed enough to fly or walk us anywhere and I can't retract my wings to walk anywhere, let alone fly. I don't think I'll be able to fly for a day or two," I replied roughly. 

"Just give me a few minutes and I'll be fine to fly," he groaned as he readjusted himself against the wall. 

"You're ridiculous. You almost died a few hours ago and you think you can fly yourself out of here?" I rolled my eyes and shook my head. 

"Correction, fly us out of here. I could've flown myself out ages ago. I'm bringing you with me, love," his lips curled in that arrogant smirk that made my heart beat like crazy. 

"Don't call me that," I clenched my jaw, glancing down at the floor in front of me. 

"Sorry. Old habit," he shrugged. 

"I'm not letting you risk your life again to carry me out of here," I huffed stubbornly. 

"It's not risking my life, Greene. But I'll only be able to carry us to one place. I can't fly you to Siena and Allison. You're gonna have to stay with me, at least until I can get you a ride home," he explained, coughing a little and wincing. 

I cringed. I'd already spent more time with Grey than I'd wanted to. Yes, he'd saved my life and I was grateful, but it didn't change what he'd done to me. I don't know if I'd ever be able to move past it. 

"That's fine," I sighed, moving my wing a little and wincing. 

Sharp pain radiated up through my wing and down my shoulder blade and back. I fought the urge to groan from the immense pain. I would've asked Grey to reset it, but well- I didn't particularly want him touching me. I know, I know- I'm ridiculously stubborn and it infuriated me that I couldn't let him get near me even after he'd saved my life and even if it would save me from this pain. 

"You gonna let me reset that yet?" Grey's eyes drifted over my wing and then fell back on me. 

"I'm fine," I grumbled out. 

"Stubborn little thing," he mumbled under his breath with a roll of his eyes. 

With a low growl and hiss, Grey clambered up to his feet, gripping the wall for support. He was in bad shape. His wings were torn and singed, his skin just as bad. The ashes in the air were preventing us from healing our superficial injuries.