Chapter 41

I'd spent the next few days at home helping Siena heal and allowing my own wounds to close. Most were superficial, but seeing Grey and hearing all of the things he had to say had reopened some deep cuts that I was hoping had sealed shut. I couldn't deny that I still loved him and that I desperately wanted to move past everything that happened, but I couldn't bring myself to. He had wounded me so deeply and shattered every bit of trust I had in him. I didn't know if the words he said to me now were the truth or if they were just lies to get me back into his bed. Love is a fickle thing, like that. Your heart may yearn for someone, but still ache from the last time they tore you apart. 

"Did you hear Allison talking about her birthday tomorrow?" Siena mumbled, resting her head back on the armrest of the sofa. 

Her ankle was healing, but slower than it might've were she not injured elsewhere. She was in bad shape when she'd first gotten out of that church. Suriel said he thinks her ankle was nearly shattered. If she weren't an Angel, it never would've healed. Now, she was limping, but able to walk. We'd put her ankle in a makeshift brace made of medical bandages and two of her dulled down throwing knives for support. She was getting better. If she felt well enough by the weekend, we might even be able to remove the brace altogether. 

"She never shuts up about it, how could I not?" I retorted, watching the grey skies swirl outside the window. 

Allison's birthday was tomorrow, and even though we were now immortal, she insisted on celebrating it. She had rented out this swanky rooftop lounge on top of one of the buildings here in Paris and demanded we wear dresses again. I think she had way too much fun getting ready for the art gala thing at the Louvre. 

"Well did she tell you where she was going today?" Siena raised an eyebrow at me. 

I shook my head. 

"She said, and I quote, 'since you can't walk and Jordan loves playing doctor, I'm going to go pick out dresses for you both to wear tomorrow night'," Siena used her fingers as air quotes and rolled her eyes. 

"So we're her dress up dolls now?" I groaned in frustration. 

I was irritated about wearing a dress in the first place, but now that I got literally no say in what I wear at all, I was even more so. 

"I don't know what her deal is. But I don't think we really have a choice but to play along," Siena chuckled. 

"She didn't- she didn't invite Grey tomorrow, did she?" I turned away from the window and glanced to Siena. 

"I have no idea. I doubt it. She hates him after what he did to you. Unless you were hoping she did invite him?" Siena narrowed her eyes a little. 

"No, no- I- I don't want to see him," I replied softly. 

"You never told me what happened that night after Al took me home and you had to fly home with him," she prodded. 

"Nothing happened. I cleaned out his wounds so they would heal. He reset my wing. I left," I shrugged. 

"You must know by now he still loves you. I've never seen Grey risk his life for anyone. Ever. He's always only looked after himself," Siena pursed her lips a little. 

"He looked to you before the roof collapsed," I mumbled. 

"Grey and I are friends. He knew he had to make a choice. Between me and the girl he loves. He looked to me to let me know that while he still cares about me, you come first. It wasn't for approval. It was goodbye," Siena explained coolly. 

"Goodbye?" I scowled. 

"The roof was collapsing, Jo. If that archway had fallen any differently, I very well could be dead. Angels can still die. Grey knew what he was deciding between. My life or yours. But I don't blame him for one second for making that call. I would've done the same if I loved someone the way he loves you," she frowned.