Chapter 43

I'd woken up this morning expecting a hangover, but had felt completely fine. Odd, considering how much we'd drank last night. I guess Angels are immune to hangovers. I wish I'd known about that sooner. 

After we'd all finished getting ready for her party, Allison had left early with Siena to go over to the venue and get it ready. I'm not really sure what that meant, but I didn't ask either. They'd asked if I'd wanted to go with them, but I'd told Li I would send him my address and he would pick me up here. So, I'd grabbed a jacket and my wallet and phone and now stood outside the huge wooden doors on the cobblestone street. He said he would be here any minute, and I didn't want to make him come get me. Plus, he didn't have the access key to get inside the doors anyways. 

A black sedan rolled slowly down the alleyway, headlights flashing on the wet pavement. I peered my eyes a little through the windshield, just barely able to discern Li's wide smile. The car slowed next to me and Li got out, grinning from ear to ear. 

He was in a light blue button down shirt and grey slacks, his hair nicely gelled back. He looked nice. 

"You look incredible," he breathed, his eyes drifting over me. 

Somehow, Allison had been able to force me into this dress. It was a bright red, and the v-neck stretched all the way down to the top of my bellybutton. At the waist, it flared outwards like a sundress about halfway up my thigh. Above the waist was the issue. It was corseted, and Allison had insisted on squeezing my insides as tight as the dress would go. If I ate or drank anything, I'm afraid the strings that held the corset together would bust. 

"Thank you. You do as well," I smiled politely. 

Li's dark eyes twinkled a little under the streetlamp, pausing to look at me again for a moment before walking over to the passenger side. I followed and he held the door open for me. I clambered rather ungracefully into the car and fastened the seatbelt across my chest. 

"Alright. So, where are we headed?" Li climbed into the driver's seat next to me and fastened his own seatbelt. 

"La Derniere Lune?" I raised an eyebrow a little. 

"Oh, yeah, I've heard of that place," he nodded, shifting the car into drive and heading down the alleyway. 

"Have you been there?" I questioned. 

"Once or twice, I think. But I don't remember it very well. I went there when I first arrived here in Paris with some of my friends from the university, and we drank a little too much," he chuckled. 

"Ah, I see," I snickered. 

"So, whose party is it that I'm going to?" Li smiled, turning down onto a main road. 

"My friend, Allison. She's my roommate from college. I think you'll like her, and I'm pretty sure she already likes you," I replied. 

"What makes you think that?" He asked. 

"You're not my ex," I said bluntly. 

"Ah. He won't be there, I presume?" Li frowned a little. 

"I doubt it. Allison kinda despises him at the moment. But if he is there, I'll tell you who he is and we can just avoid him. He's- he's not someone I want you getting into an altercation with," I clenched my jaw a little, my heart rate spiking. 

"I appreciate the concern, Jordan, but he's just a guy. I can handle him," Li said confidently. 

Oh, if only he knew. 

"Just- please avoid him. I don't want any trouble," I explained. 

"Alright, alright. I just don't want you to think I won't stand up for you if he does or says something," Li smiled gently.