Chapter 25

"Is Suriel back from his meeting with Michael and the Archangels yet?" I hummed, crossing my legs as I adjusted myself on the seat at Grey's little breakfast nook table. I held my coffee mug close to my chest to warm myself. It was raining outside, making it feel a bit more like home. However, it was a hell of a lot chillier. Even though I didn't get as cold as I would if I were still human, I was only wearing Grey's T-shirt. So I was ~chilled~

"No. It'll probably be a few days. The Archangels love to draw everything out as long as possible before making a decision," Grey mumbled, pouring his own coffee and making his way over to the table. He walked around me, leaning down and pressing his lips against the top of my head before sitting down next to me.

"Did he show you the tablet?" I asked, taking a sip. Grey shook his head, taking a drink of his own.

"No. He said it was pretty heavy so he wasn't gonna carry it over here. I just think he's weak, but anyways- he showed me a picture," Grey explained.

"What did it look like?" I raised an eyebrow, tucking my hair behind my ear and setting my mug down on the table.

"Probably about 2 feet long. It was tan, like the rest of the bricks in the crypt, and maybe a foot wide. The language written on it- I'd only seen it twice before," he frowned.

"Where?"

"Gates to Heaven. And the Gates to Hell," he sighed. Oh. Good. Gates to Heaven I didn't mind as much, but Gates to Hell too? Why couldn't it have just been Archaic Latin like the rest of all angelology and demonology?

"How do we know the Archangels will be able to read it?" I asked.

"Michael should be able to. Gabriel should as well. But it's a good thing we got to it first, because Lucifer probably could as well," he grumbled in irritation.

"Well, on the bright side, the Angels taking so long gives us a few days to enjoy Paris. And seeing as I've never been here before, I would really like to," I suggested, taking another drink.

"That can probably be arranged," Grey smirked, glancing back over his shoulder out the window. "You sure you wanna go out in that though?"

"It's just rain," I shrugged.

"Freezing cold rain," he raised an eyebrow slightly.

"I'll manage."

He sucked in a deep breath, relenting. "Alright. Finish your coffee and I'll show you around la ville de l'amour," he winked at me playfully. Oh yes. Please speak French to me.

He stood up, walking over to the kitchen and washing his mug, before heading back into his bedroom to get changed. I finished up my coffee and then followed.

Unfortunately, because we hadn't really packed literally anything, I had to figure out what I would wear from what I had. Wearing my battle bodysuit wasn't really an option. I'd stick out like a sore thumb. But, my tight black pants that were a part of my bodysuit might work. They were fine- they looked a bit military-esque, but they were doable. I stole one of Grey's charcoal sweaters from his closet, tucking it in a little bit in the front so I didn't look like I was wearing a trash bag (albeit a very nice one). I didn't have any makeup with me, which was fine, and my hair had begun to curl up because of the humidity. Boom. Instant volume. Merci Paris.

"You ready, Greene?" Grey leaned against the closet door as I zipped up the combat boots that had come with the whole battle bodysuit thing.

"Yep. This okay?" I awkwardly twirled in a circle, eyeing him expectantly.

"Yes, love. You're beautiful," he smirked, outstretching his hand. I smiled and took it, following his lead as we left the apartment.

Instead of flying across Paris as we had been doing, Grey led me through the courtyard and out the massive wooden doors to the alleyway. He locked the doors behind him, pulled out an umbrella, then offered me his arm to lead me down the street. The little alleyways like these were all cobblestone, making it look like we had time traveled back to the Dark Ages. If it weren't for the motorcycles and little cars zooming left and right at the intersection ahead, I might've believed it.