Chapter 16

I woke up to the sensation of fingertips trailing down my spine. When I felt it, the light flooding in through the windows of the motel room suddenly felt a lot brighter, and my eyes squinted as they opened. There was skin beneath me. Odd. 

Oh wait. 

Grey and I fucked last night. 

Never-mind, not odd. 

I propped my chin on his chest and looked up at him. His hair was disheveled, as per usual, his eyes watching the windows as his fingertips trailed up and down my spine. He turned to look down at me, his cerulean eyes glimmering in the early morning light that filtered through the curtains. 

"Good morning," he hummed lowly, the corners of his lips curling upwards in a devious smirk. His fingertips brushed some of my hair that laid on my back to the side. 

"Good morning," I replied softly. "I didn't realize I was this clingy when I slept- sorry," I chuckled slightly, looking back over my shoulder at our intertwined bodies. 

"Don't apologize. I could get used to this," Grey murmured, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "Hmm. So beautiful."

I shook my head and tilted my head, pressing my lips against his chest, before rolling over and getting out of bed. 

"Where are you going?" Grey grumbled in annoyance. 

"Not me. We. We are going to Colorado. And we gotta get a move on before Hell catches up to us," I replied, pulling on the bodysuit we'd been provided. 

"So impatient. I'd so much rather just stay here. With you."

"Maybe someday when this all blows over we can," I shrugged, walking over to the bathroom to brush my teeth and pull my hair back into a braid. 

"Once Heaven gets a hold of your soul, you won't be able to be with me, love," Grey sighed as he walked into the bathroom as well, running his hands a few times through his hair. 

"And we will convince them otherwise. I'm not going to live without you, Grey. I thought I'd made that perfectly clear by giving up not only my life, but my soul, to keep you alive," I rolled my eyes. 

"I don't know that they'll give us much of a choice," he murmured back, brushing his teeth next to me. 

"Then they won't get my soul. Simple," I shrugged, walking out of the bathroom. Grey started to say something, but was interrupted by a knock on our door. "I'm gonna grab the door, can you put on some clothes?"

"Why? Don't wanna share?" Grey poked his head out of the bathroom, eyes narrowed and lips pulled into a condescending smirk. 

"Just put on your damn clothes, dumbass," I retorted playfully, walking over to the door and swinging it open. 

"Hey, you guys ready?" Siena asked, her shoulder bumping into mine as she walked into our room with Allison in tow. 

"Good morning to you too. Grey's just getting dressed and then we can head. Do you know the flight pattern for today?" I asked. 

"Yeah, but flying over the Rockies will be tricky. They're really high so they tend to create their own weather patterns- lots of random updrafts and downdrafts and rapid storm formation. We're going to have to stay in a tight knit diamond shape today, otherwise things could turn dangerous. No excursions today, I'm afraid," Siena frowned slightly. 

"It's okay. Another time, I guess. I've hiked through them, I guess it's now time to see what they look like from above," I shrugged. 

"Are your wings sore?" Allison asked, tilting her head slightly to the side.