Chapter 52

Everything around me was a blinding white. There were no dimensions, no anything. When I looked down at where my body should be, again- nothing. It was like I merely existed as an entity, floating in a white space.

I felt nothing. I felt no pain, no emotions, absolutely nothing. I just existed.

I think I should've felt afraid, maybe uncertain, given that I had no body, felt numb, and saw nothing discernible around me, but I didn't. I think the fact that I felt nothing should've concerned me, but it didn't.

I just existed.

But then I began to feel again.

Warmth at my core, radiating outwards like a little pulsating light.

I looked down and saw a body. It was mine, I think. I'm not sure. It felt familiar. It looked familiar.

In the center of my ribcage, there sat a little glowing silver light. It pulsed a few times, like I was seeing a lighthouse through dense fog.

I gingerly brushed my fingers against the light, shivering when I felt the warmth blossom across my body at the contact.

Interesting.

Was this my soul?

It looked... I don't know, wild?

Tendrils of glowing silver flung out from the center, lashing out in all directions. I tilted my head to the side, watching curiously.

Suddenly, a dark hand gripped hold of one of the tendrils, a gasp escaping from my chest. I looked up. God eyed me for a moment, as if waiting to see if I'd fight back.

Should I fight back?

I didn't have time to think on it, as the next second, she had yanked on the tendril, tethering it to her own multicolored glow. Her glow was never just one color like mine was. It swirled with every single color I'd ever seen and some I hadn't even known existed.

When the silvery tendril had latched on to her glow, entwining with it until there was no differentiation between my glow and hers, she looked back up at me. 

Her brows furrowed a little and she tugged on the tendril a little more, as if asking for more. However, for some reason, the tendril didn't budge. 

"Impossible," she mouthed, the breath barely escaping her lips. 

She took a step towards me, looking me dead in the eye. She stood there, watching my eyes for much longer than was comfortable, before clenching her jaw and letting out a sigh.

"Wake up, my child," the voice from her mouth was not the feminine one it had been previously, but rather the genderless, omnipotent one from before.

There was a flash of white light, and then darkness. 

***

Air rushed into my lungs as I gasped, springing upright out of bed. My heart was racing. My eyes darted around the room as I tried to figure out where I was. 

The room was completely white- everything from the walls and floor to the furniture itself. The bed was also white; queen sized, with a crisp down comforter strewn comfortably across me. A massive set of windows sat across from the bed, stretching from the floor to the ceiling. I swung my legs over the side of the bed, shivering as my bare feet came into contact with the cold marble floors. I padded over to the window, wrapping my arms around myself as I looked outside. 

Before me sat the glowing white city of Heaven, just as I'd remembered it. At least, I think I remembered it. The memory seemed so foggy now, like it had all been a dream.