Chapter 51

We'd been climbing for what seemed like hours. These white marble stairs seemed to stretch on for forever. Were I still human, I'd be so out of breath right now. 

Michael had led us through the city of Heaven, with its glimmering white skyscrapers looking like something straight out of a utopian film. The clouds surrounding the city seemed to reflect the light coming from above, which I now knew was Grey's dad- God himself. Everything in the city therefore seemed to literally glow. It was so bright it began to give me a headache. After living in dreary, rainy environments for so long, I don't think my eyes were fond of the sudden adjustment to light and color. Grey seemed irritated as well, but I think it was for a different reason. 

Around the city walked silvery figures, like what I'd imagine ghosts to be like, but they glimmered as if draped in silver thread. They glowed just as much as the city around us. Whenever I'd stare at one for a moment too long, their eyes would flick to mine and my headache would pulse, forcing me to look away. 

"Souls of times past and times to come," Michael had said quietly. 

"Why can't I look them in the eye?" I had asked. 

"Because you're Fallen," Grey had interjected rather gruffly. 

I tried not to let his sour mood get to me too much. I knew how hard it must be for him to be back here after abandoning it centuries ago. I couldn't imagine what this must be like for him. I couldn't imagine what was going through his head right now. I wouldn't want to see God after Falling. Hell, I didn't want to see God now and I was created as a Fallen. 

"The souls here are pure. Yours isn't. At least, for now. Once you Pledge, you should be fine. They just recognize what you both are, so they're defending themselves by projecting God's light through their eyes so you can't look at them. Heaven is not a painless place for those who haven't earned the Light," Michael had explained. "It was one of the first defense mechanisms the Archangels and Our Father put in place when Lucifer fell. If he ever tried to invade Heaven, he will feel what you're feeling now. Pain. From all angles."

"Brutal," I had mumbled under my breath, pressing my temples in an attempt to ease the discomfort. 

Now, as we walked up this ascending marble staircase into the sky, my head continued to throb. I knew who was waiting for me at the top, and that didn't ease my discomfort. Meeting my maker- hmm, not something I thought I would be able to do while I was still alive. 

"How much higher do these go, Michael?" I complained. 

"Just a bit further. You will know when we get close," he replied in that suave voice of his. 

"How will I know?" I asked. 

"Trust me, you'll know. You'll both know,"  Michael glanced back at Grey and I over his shoulder. 

I'm guessing he was referring to our headaches. I hadn't asked Grey if he had one too, but with the way his brows were furrowed and that irritated look in his cerulean eyes- I could feel his pain as clearly as I felt my own. His gaze shifted to mine when he saw that I was looking back at him, those otherworldly eyes twinkling a little as he looked at me. I could've sworn I'd felt my headache stop for a moment. 

"There it is!" Michael announced proudly and I swung back around, seeing the stairway coming to an end above us. 

Light radiated from that ledge, like the sun itself sat atop it. As we approached, I could see massive white pillars rising from the ledge up into the sky like a ruined Greek temple. The sky around us began to change from white to the colors of a vivid sunset- pink, purple, blues, and oranges. They all swirled wildly around us as we climbed. 

SilverOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara