Chapter 21

I woke up to the sounds of a bustling street and faint light peering in the window. My eyes adjusted to the light for a moment, observing the gloomy skies of Paris outside the large windows in front of the bed. I groaned and rolled over. 

"Morning to you too," Grey smirked, his voice low and sultry as he reached up and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. His midnight hair was all disheveled, his eyes the same color as the overcast sky outside. Silver, with hints of blue. 

"While I love waking up in Paris with you, I wish we were here under other circumstances," I murmured, snuggling up against his chest. He let out a deep sigh, wrapping his arm around my shoulder to hold me close. 

"You and me both," he grumbled, his fingers trailing absentmindedly up and down the side of my arm. 

"What time is it?" I hummed, leaning up and pressing a chaste kiss on the underside of his jaw. 

"9:00. We're meeting the others at Notre Dame in an hour," he explained softly. I loved that he was this way with me. Gentle. Overprotective. Caring. I knew I was pretty much the only one who got to see this side of him. And I loved that. 

"Why couldn't you arrange for 11:00 instead of 10:00?" I groaned in irritation, running my hand up his solid chest. If I couldn't feel the faint heartbeat beneath his skin, I'd almost think he were stone. 

The corners of his lips curled upwards in a devious smirk. "If this weren't a matter of your life or death, I would reschedule," he murmured lowly, slowly rolling over so he was positioned on top of me. He lowered himself down, pressing his lips against the nape of my neck. 

"Mmm I bet you would," I breathed, my eyes fluttering shut as my hands found their way to his muscular back, gripping him and tugging him closer. 

"I should have woken you up earlier," he groaned in my ear and I smiled to myself. I ran my fingertips gently across his shoulder blades to the tips of his shoulders and he shuddered a little under my touch. 

"You should've. Now I guess we'll have to wait," I whispered in his ear, wrapping my legs slowly around his hips and pulling him against me. Grey's chest rumbled in a low frustrated growl and he pressed his hips against mine, reaching down and pulling my arms off his back to hold them over my head. His lips traveled down my neck to the hem of my tee, and right when he reached it, I tightened my legs and pushed up on one side with my arms until I could swing my body around so I was on top again. My legs straddled his hips and he looked up at me with a bewildered look. 

"That- that was uncalled for," he narrowed his eyes playfully at me. I shrugged, leaning down and placing a chaste kiss on his lips, before getting off of him and standing up. 

Much to Grey's disliking, I got dressed and waited impatiently for him to follow. He had stayed in bed watching me get ready, so now we were running late. 

"We're late," I rolled my eyes at him as he finished buckling his sword into his suit between his shoulder blades. 

"Your fault. Shouldn't have teased me like that," he retorted, his eyes freely traveling up and down my body. I folded my arms and raised an eyebrow. 

"You done checking me out? Siena's gonna be pissed as it is," I scowled. He shook his head and walked up to me, pressing a kiss on my forehead. 

"I'll never be done," he hummed. 

"Alright, come on," I chuckled, taking his hand and practically dragging him out the door. When we got down to the courtyard, Grey made sure nobody was around, then extended his wings and shot upwards, landing on the rooftop. I outstretched mine with a groan and pushed them downwards, shooting upwards to the roof like Grey had. I thought he said we were giving them time to heal?