Chapter 15

After I'd showered and gotten dressed again, I waited for Siena to come back to her room, hopefully to tell me Grey wasn't mad. I know he'd been convinced ever since Yosemite that it was, for some reason, my goal to sabotage this mission- but it wasn't. What reason I'd even have to do that is beyond me. I just wanted to experience El Cap for a few seconds, and then- as far as what happened in the lobby- I have no idea. I'm still trying to figure out what came over me. The jealousy had just washed over me like a wave of nausea and I couldn't control it. 

"I'm sure it's fine, Jo. He would never stay mad at you for long. And besides, there's worse things than your girlfriend being overprotective of you. I don't know why he's complaining, frankly. I tried to get Jack to show a little jealousy for years- it always bugged me how annoyingly saint-like he was," Allison rolled over onto her side, sprawled out across the white sheets of the motel bed. The room was dark and smelled musty, as to be expected I guess. The walls were a creamy yellow, and there wasn't any artwork adorning the walls. An old 1980s box television sat atop a peeling white dresser, much like the desk in the lobby. The light on the nightstand flickered slightly. 

"He's been so pissy all day, I just don't know what his deal is. I apologized, didn't I? I just- I don't know what came over me. I mean, there was one time on his plane back to Washington that I body slammed a girl that he used to hook up with because she was being blatantly rude to me and also hitting on him, but I- I had no logical reason to break that poor girls fingers," I replied, drying my hair off with a towel. 

"I would probably body slam a girl for doing that too," she chuckled, rolling onto her back and looking up at the ceiling. "It's probably what Siena said. You're Pledged to him, so of course you're overprotective. And you also just finished your transition, so I'm sure it's hard to control your soul sometimes. I'd probably break someone's fingers if I were Pledged to him. But don't tell Michael that," she winked at me and I rolled my eyes. 

"Siena thinks he's being paranoid. Do you think so?" I asked. Allison pressed her lips together and let out a sigh. 

"I'm not sure. I would say he's maybe being a little paranoid? But at the same time, I mean- it is Lucifer we're dealing with. It's hard to outmaneuver the devil, and that's exactly what we're trying to do. And I'm sure he feels responsible not only for you and Siena, but also me because I'm a new Angel. I'm sure he's very stressed out and thinks that being paranoid will end up protecting us," she explained. I nodded, pursing my lips. At that moment, the door opened and Siena waltzed in. 

"Well?" I raised an eyebrow slightly and she smiled- sort of.  

"He's fine. Just stressed out about this whole thing. He knows you're not trying to sabotage this, he's just a little on edge. He wants to talk to you," she sighed, plopping down on the bed next to Allison. 

"While you're out, do you wanna go check at the front desk if they have any exfoliating scrubs? My skin is in dire need-" Allison began, and Siena shot her a glare. 

"You're funny," I rolled my eyes at Allison, throwing my towel over my shoulder as I walked over to the door. 

"Wasn't a joke, but thanks!" Allison called after me as I shut the door behind me. I walked over to Grey and I's room, awkwardly debated knocking on the door before ultimately deciding just to walk in. Grey was sitting on the side of the bed, his elbows resting on his knees and his head hanging low between his shoulders. He glanced up after a moment. 

"Hi," he mumbled, his eyes drifting over me. 

"Hi."

"I'm sorry I yelled at you. And was short with you all day," he clenched his jaw slightly, watching me as I walked over and sat next to him on the bed.