Chapter 31

"You're not gonna like this," Allison hummed as she strolled absentmindedly down the concrete stairs that led into the gym. 

Siena and I stopped sparring, both equally out of breath, and glanced back at Allison. She twirled a lock of her silvery blonde hair in her index finger, leaning casually against the cobblestone wall. 

"What?" I asked coolly, wiping the sweat that had collected above my brow. 

We'd been sparring for a few hours now, and I think Siena and I were both exhausted. It'd been like this for the last week- us training until we couldn't hardly stand anymore. I knew Siena had been doing it for me. She didn't need the training, being as skilled a fighter as she already was, and I doubt she wanted to do it every day in a row. But I appreciated her distraction. The physical exhaustion helped distract me from the emotions raging inside that heart of mine. I'd started eating and drinking again because of it. 

"Word from Michael. He said the Archangels are still decoding the tablet, but apparently Grey contacted him about your-uh- your outburst. Michael thinks it would be best if you had something to help restrain your soul," Allison explained, choosing her words as carefully as a diplomat might. 

"My outburst?" I felt the corners of my lip pull upwards in a slight snarl. 

He had no right.  

He'd broken my heart and my soul and literally everything I had believed in and he expected me to keep this raging tempest of a soul under wraps? He can kiss my ass. He wouldn't have lasted a second against the will of my soul, let alone be able to rein it back in. My soul could've easily incinerated both of them on the spot. He's lucky I didn't let it. 

"What could possibly be strong enough to restrain her soul?" Siena asked with an amused snort, walking over to one of the benches and unwrapping her knuckles. 

"He mentioned something about hardened Hellfire," Allison murmured, eyeing both of us. 

Hardened Hellfire. The only thing strong enough to keep Grey bound when Lucifer had trapped us on top of that mountain and forced me to walk into Hellfire. He had explained that the black ropes binding Grey could only be broken by him, being that he controlled the Hellfire. If that remained the case, how would I be able to get any hardened Hellfire off of me in the event I needed to defend myself?

No way. Too risky. 

"Lucifer's the only one who can break hardened Hellfire's bondage. I won't willingly bind myself to his will and whim," I retorted, unwrapping my own knuckles. 

"Michael said you would protest. But he also said that Hellfire dissolves like salt in Holy water. Whenever it needs to come off, he can remove it off of you. Hardened Hellfire can't be taken off by force, I believe," Allison explained. 

"Still. It renders her pretty much useless if she needed to tap into her soul's full power for some reason. Sure, she's kind of like a nuclear weapon that could easily wipe out all of Paris if she wanted, but I'd rather blow up all of Paris than let Lucifer kill her," Siena clenched her jaw a little. 

"Michael said that while the tablet is still being debated, this isn't up for discussion. The Council had deliberated and decided that having your soul at full power was a risk they aren't willing to take. Not when you're young and don't have complete control over it yet," Allison frowned a little. 

"Great. So they're forcing me into shackles because Grey cheated on me and I got pissed. Sie- is there any logic in that decision whatsoever, because I'm having trouble finding any," I narrowed my eyes at Siena, who rolled hers in irritation.