Chapter 36

How on Earth Siobhan had managed to find her and bring her here, I had no idea. All I knew is that there was no way she was getting out of here alive. Not with the way Siobhan was looking at me.

Her eyes were so dark, it made me wonder if I had ever seen something that pitch black before. It was like her eyes were black holes, absorbing all light in existence and giving none back. She was 100% Demon. There was no way she could be anything else. Nothing else could look like that. Aside from maybe Lucifer.

"Jo-Jordan, she says she's gonna kill me if-," Makenna stuttered, tears rolling down her cheeks.

She looked like skin and bone. Her cheekbones were sticking out further than her false eyelashes, the bags underneath her eyes dragging her eyelids down like her skin had begun to fall off. Siobhan had obviously had Makenna held hostage for a while.

"If you don't give me the tablet revealing how to rePledge your soul," Siobhan finished Makenna's sentence for her.

I knew Siobhan was going to kill her regardless. That's how things like this always ended up. Makenna was going to die, all because of me. Because of my mere existence. Because I needed to save innocent souls- hers included- even if it meant taking her life.

I looked to Siena at my left, then Allison to my right. Allison was trembling. She knew this situation all too well. I needed to get her out of here. I didn't want to put her through this again. Another innocent death for the greater good- whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. I didn't even know if there was a greater good anymore.

"Allison. Go get Grey and Suriel. Send word to Michael that I need these damn cuffs off as soon as he can get here," I whispered to her through gritted teeth.

As much as I didn't want to see him, I needed him. I needed him now.

Allison's ocean blue eyes flicked to me, swirling darkness evident in them. She nodded slightly, her wings extending out to either side of her before quickly shooting her up into the sky. I glanced back to Siena.

"You know I got your back," she gave me a single nod, her eyes flashing bronze as she turned back to Siobhan.

"And if I don't have the tablet?" I looked back up to Siobhan, wincing as her hand tightened around Makenna's neck.

Makenna was a lot of things, but she was my friend before she was anything else. I deeply admired her, and I never wanted her to get mixed up in all of this. She was my big. She had shown how much she had cared for me. She'd been there when all of this began.

A part of me desperately wished I'd never even met her, that if I hadn't, she would be home- safe. If she hadn't met me, she wouldn't have Siobhan's hand around her throat right now. But I knew I couldn't blame myself for this. I'd already done the whole self blame thing. I couldn't blame myself for Lucifer's greed. I couldn't blame myself for the things evil beings did to those I loved.

"That would be-," Siobhan paused, her head cocking to the side slightly, "- unfortunate."

"There's four demons on the left spire, three on the right. I can't see or hear anything else, so there may be more," Siena whispered under her breath.

How she could gather that much in a few seconds, I had no idea. But I was insanely grateful.

"Okay, what's our plan?" I replied quietly, my eyes remaining trained to Siobhan and Makenna.

Makenna was close to sobbing uncontrollably now, visibly trembling as Siobhan clenched her jaw a little in impatience. God I hated her. First, she fucks my boyfriend. Now, she's threatening to kill my friend. Like, how many different ways can you piss me off?