Chapter 44

For a split second, all I could hear was that confident thud thud in my eardrums, speeding up with every passing moment. It grew louder and louder until it rang in my ears so loud I thought they bled. He was all I could hear, and his anger was all I could feel. It was all consuming. It was suffocating.

It seemed as if no time had passed, but I knew it had. I could hear it pass with Grey's angry heartbeat. But it felt like the moment Li's lips touched mine, he'd been yanked away.

My heart was racing.

Grey's hand was wrapped tightly around Li's throat, almost encircling it entirely. He held him out in front of him, dangling him a few feet off the ground as if Li had weighed close to nothing. Grey's eyes were a simmering blue fire, burning into Li's.

"Grey," I whispered softly.

The crowd around us had stopped and moved off to the sides, gasping in shock and fear. Luckily, Siena stood in front of the exit, preventing people from leaving before she could use Suggestion and erase whatever memories they had of this.

"Who are you?" Grey growled, tilting his head slightly to the side at Li and completely ignoring me.

"Let me go, man," Li pleaded, his voice weak and shaky.

"Grey, let him go. Please," I pleaded softly.

"Who are you to her?" Grey demanded, his snarl booming across the patio.

"Her date, man, that's all," Li forced out.

"That's all?" Grey clenched his jaw and chuckled a little. "That's all."

"Yeah, man, I swear," Li's voice grew weaker as he struggled against Grey, who didn't budge.

"See, what I want to know is why the fuck you think you can touch her," Grey smiled darkly at Li.

His gaze on Li was simply predatory. His pupils were dilated, focused solely on him. Power and authority radiated off of him in waves so fierce, I worried Li might drown in them.

"Grey, let him go. Please," I whispered.

Grey's eyes drifted to me, then flicked back to Li. They were glowing even brighter now. I'd never seen him this furious before. The mere sight of him like this made my heart stutter. I didn't know this Grey. This Grey looked like death incarnate.

"Do you care for him? This human?" Grey growled at me fiercely.

"I hardly know him," I replied truthfully, my heartbeat echoing in my ears.

"But you invited him to come here with you. You let him touch you. You let him kiss you. And even now, you ask me to let him go. You care for him," Grey's eyes narrowed slightly, as if daring me to deny it.

"He's a friend. He was helping me get over you," I snapped back without thinking.

"Helping you get over me?" Grey snarled, his eyes flashing even brighter.

Shit. That was the wrong thing to say.

"Come on man, please. I didn't do anything wrong. I'll stop talking to your girl, okay?" Li pleaded, his eyes swelling with tears.

"See, the issue is, I just don't believe you," Grey swung his head back to face Li, chuckling darkly.

I watched Li's eyes widen as they fell on me. My eyes must be glowing again. Grey looked back at me, then to Li.

"I'll see you in Hell," Grey snarled, and with a flick of his wrist and a loud pop, snapped Li's neck and dropped him to the floor.

Time seemed to pause for a moment, the resounding crack of his neck echoing inside my head.