Chapter 49

"He's taking me where?" I sat upright in bed, narrowing my eyes a little.

Michael was taking me to Heaven? As in the Heaven? Was that even allowed? I could feel my heart pounding violently in my chest. I didn't want to go, as much as I wanted to Pledge to Heaven- the thought of having to go through rePledging without Grey and Siena by my side-

"It's the only way you can tether your soul to Heaven now that you've already died and Pledged before. You can't go back into your subconscious and tether your soul again. Now, you have to quite literally bind your soul to Heaven while you're awake," Grey explained.

"How?" I frowned.

"I have no idea. They wouldn't tell me," he mumbled.

"They-?"

"The Archangels," Grey clenched his jaw a little.

"Why won't they tell you?" I furrowed my brows and Grey shrugged.

"My guess? They know I wouldn't let you go if I knew. I doubt it'll be pleasant," Grey huffed.

I didn't want to think about what they were going to make me do to Pledge, and I especially didn't want to think about doing it without Grey by my side. I knew if he was there, I was safe. I had someone by my side, someone who wanted what was best for me, even if I couldn't advocate for myself.

"Please. Please come with me," I whispered.

"Greene. I can't. You know I can't. It's Heaven," Grey said softly, slowly meandering back to the bed and sitting down on the edge of it.

His cerulean eyes flicked back and forth between mine.

"I thought- wait, didn't Michael say you were welcome to come?" I bunched my brows together in confusion, remembering Michael telling Grey he was welcome to join us.

Grey sucked in a deep breath and ran his fingers through his midnight hair, a strand falling gracefully across his forehead.

"I want to be with you. I want to be there for you. I do. But Heaven, I-," he paused.

"Why don't you want to go back?" I narrowed my eyes a little.

"I don't want them getting any ideas," he grumbled.

"What do you mean?" I chuckled lightly, taking his hand in mine. 

"They won't let us be together, Greene. If I become an Angel again, they won't let us be together. I'm not entirely convinced they won't try to stop us even now."

"What do you mean? Of course they will. They need me, and they will likely need you. We have leverage here," I frowned.

I wasn't even really sure if that was what I wanted. I knew I loved Grey with everything that I had, and that I would eventually want to get back together with him, but now? It seemed too fast. But the idea of never being able to be with him again- I couldn't bear it. He was it for me.

"They believe we were created to serve Heaven, and that is all. Any romantic love is treason. It distracts from duty," he sighed.

I paused.

"We'll figure it out. Please. Just come," I whispered, running my thumb over the backside of his hand.

"I don't want to bring any more attention to our relationship than I already have. The more Angels that see us, the greater chance we have of someone telling us we need to break this off," Grey replied.

"Then we tell them if they want us to fight for Heaven, they have to let us be," I shrugged.

"Once you Pledge, you can't pull that. You have to fight for Heaven," Grey frowned.