Chapter 32

Siena and I sat in the living room in silence, the only sound coming from the old clock hanging crookedly on the wall. It was a comfortable silence, albeit slightly tense because Allison was on hour two of getting ready. We were supposed to have left by now. With every passing minute, Siena would narrow her eyes at me as if to ask what the hell was taking her so long. 

Although the room was silent, my mind was far from it. I couldn't shake the anxiety blooming in the pit of my stomach. I was anxious about the Hellfire, having my soul suppressed yet again to keep it from exposing my true power to Lucifer and his minions. But more than that, I was anxious about seeing Grey again. I knew he would likely be there tonight, as Michael had requested that we all come. I didn't want to see him. I don't know what that would do to me. 

Part of me thought that my soul might try to push through the cracks of my willpower, lashing out at him in vengeance and exposing me in the process. Part of me thought it might do nothing at all, which would break my heart even more. If my soul didn't lash out, maybe Grey truly did break me. I don't know which thought disturbed me more. 

"You guys ready?" Allison sighed as she finally strode into the room. 

Her silvery locks were curled to perfection in little ringlets that fell down just below her shoulders. Her deep blue eyes were lined with kohl, making them stand out even more against her pale hair and warm complexion. The pastel floral dress she had purchased earlier fell elegantly to the floor at her feet. She looked like the goddess of spring. 

"We've been ready for about an hour now," Siena grumbled, rising to her feet. 

Siena's hair had been slightly curled into romantic waves that swept elegantly down to her waist.  She had fierce winged eyeliner, making her already slanted eyes appear even more feline and predatory. Her black gown exposed her shoulders and hugged her body the entire way to the floor. If looks could kill, Siena might murder all of Paris tonight. 

"I don't need your sass," Allison rolled her eyes at Siena, who snorted. 

"You're gonna get it anyway," she retorted. 

"Can we just get this over with, please?" I eyed both of them and they nodded with a heavy sigh. 

"Are you- do you think he'll be there?" Allison shifted her gaze from mine uncomfortably and shuffled her feet a little. 

"Probably," I frowned. 

"Are you going to be okay?" Siena asked softly, pursing her lips a little. 

"Probably," I shrugged. 

Without a second thought, Siena hooked her arm through mine, nodding to Allison that we could head out. 

"Well, we got your back. If you need to leave, we'll explain everything to Michael and see if there's some other place and time we can do this," Siena offered. 

"I'll be okay. Really," I pulled my lips into a less than convincing smile. 

Siena huffed and rolled her eyes, leading me out of the apartment. We slowly made our way downstairs to the courtyard, which we struggled on because of these death trap heels Allison and Siena insisted I wear. They did look nice though. 

Allison had arranged for a car so we didn't have to figure out how to fly and land in heels, which I greatly appreciated. We clambered into the black vehicle and drove off towards the Louvre. She must've already told the driver where we were headed, because he didn't ask, nor did he say a single word the entire ride (which was quite awkward, actually). 

When we finally arrived, we were dropped off in front of the Louvre in a massive cobblestone courtyard. The sun had set and the sky was a midnight blue, partially illuminated by the massive glowing set of glass pyramids laid out before us. I finally understood what all the hype was about. The Louvre looked incredible, and we weren't even inside yet.