Chapter Seventeen

L a u r a

I could hear a voice from just outside my bedroom. I couldn't make out what they were saying it was all mumbles. Who was that anyway? Could it be Noah, was he back? No. He had been gone for two months and he wasn't coming back. Then I started to remember. I saw Ross on the street and we went out for dinner. I invited him up to watch a movie. If we were watching a movie then how did I end up here? Also who was he talking to?

"Ross?" My weak voice called out.

"Yeah?" He says coming back into the room.

"This might sound stupid but why am I in my bed? I ask him.

He lightly chuckled.

"You fell asleep practically straight away. I fell asleep too but when I woke up it was much later. You were still asleep so I put you to bed." He replies simply.

"Oh well thank you then." I say sheepishly.

"It's no problem." He tells me while he smiles at me.

"Oh and one more question. Who were you talking to before?" I ask with a confused look on my face.

"That was my mum. She was wondering where I was but it's all good now." He reassures me.

"Does she want you back home?" I ask him.

"Since it's nearly one in the morning and I don't have a car with me, I don't think she expects me to be home." He tells me.

"Oh okay, well you can stay here if you like" I offer.

"Are you sure?" He asks.

"Yeah really I don't mind. Besides it's late anyway, where would you go?" I question him.

"I didn't want to intrude that's all." He tells me.

"It's fine. It's not like I have anyone else here." I say but I regret it because it starts making me sad.

I know I shouldn't care about Noah but I can't help it. He was a big part of my life and I really loved him. I don't know what I'm doing with Ross. I guess we're both over the fight that made us break up. Maybe I never should have walked away. What if I stayed with him and fixed our problems. Would we still be together. Would he still of gone on tour? I would of never got hurt by Noah, that's for sure. Maybe I would have gotten hurt by Ross even more.

I need to stop thinking about the what ifs there is no purpose in them. I guess I shouldn't live in the past either. I did have a lot of good times with Noah. I should think about them not the horrible ending. It's all about the journey right? Not the destination.

I'm here with Ross now and who knows where this could lead? I should leave all my opportunities open, right?

"Yeah I heard about that I'm sorry Laura." Ross says sadly.

"I never told you about that, how did you find out?" I question him.

"Oh um, I, well, I, I guessed, because Noah's not here so.., where else would he be." He chokes out.

He looks nervous but I think he's trying to cover it with a smile. How did he find out and why is he trying to hide it?

I just stare at him, still not convinced with his answer.

"Okay I saw Noah and-" He says before I cut him off.

"You saw Noah? When? Where?" I question him.

"Oh, um yeah, a couple of weeks ago now." Ross says casually but with a hint of confusion in his voice.

"Yes but where? Where is the question?" I ask again impatiently.

"Oh it was." Ross stops. He thinks for a bit. It looked like he was deciding something.

He then realises that I was looking at him and that he hadn't answered yet.

"What's with all the questions? I didn't think you'd be this curious of his life after your break up." Ross askes.

I was starting to think Ross doesn't know what really happened.

"What exactly did Noah say about how we broke up?" I ask Ross.

"Come to think of it he didn't say how. I just thought he broke up with you because he said he broke it off before anything happened and you wouldn't cope.." Ross looks at me and realises what he was saying. He immediately stops talking.

This was a lot to take in. First of all he told Ross that he broke up with me when really all he did was pack up his stuff and leave. Second, break it off before anything happens? What does that mean? Now lastly, I wouldn't be able to cope?

"Noah seemed like he really cared and was concerned about you. If that makes you feel better." Ross says trying to make me feel better.

"I don't think you know the full story Ross." I say.

Ross looks at me confused.

"Yes technically Noah broke up with me but he didn't mention how he, did he?" I ask Ross.

"No..?" Ross asks worried.

I didn't want to say it. It's like it pained me to say the words. I shouldn't have mention it. I really have to start thinking before I speak. I know Ross will get all worked up about this.

"Maybe you should bring it up in conversation the next time you see Noah." I tell Ross.

He actually thinks about it for a second. Like he was thinking of when he would see him next. Does Ross know what's going on with Noah?

"Ross, Noah he, you see, it wasn't really a break up." I mange to spit out.

Ross looked at me waiting for me to finish.

"You see I woke up and, well we had dinner the night before.." I trail off.

I don't want to say it aloud because then it's true. I know it's happened and he's never coming back but if I pretend it never happened I can pretend everything is okay.

"Look I don't want hear about your crazy night with Noah. That is the last thing I want to think about." He mutters.

"No, no it's not that! The morning after he um, I got out if bed and.." I pause.

I shut me eyes remembering that morning. I remember being worried because he wasn't responding to me. I remember waiting for his calming voice to tell me he was right here. I remember looking around our room and finding all his stuff gone. He never responded! Why couldn't he be taking out the garbage? His reassuring voice coming through the door telling me what a nice day it was outside. Why? Why did he have to leave? No note or anything telling me why.

All I want right now is to wake up from this horrible nightmare, and for Noah to hold me and tell me everything will be okay.

// H e r e C o m e s F o r e v e r _ x o 💕 //