Chapter Thirty Eight

R i k e r

It's been a couple weeks since Ross and Laura's breakup, if it even was a breakup because they weren't really together in the first place. Ross says he's fine but I know he isn't. I get why he distanced himself from Laura but I know he isn't coping without her. He was a wreak when they broke up before we went on tour. I think if it wasn't for playing music every night he would have been out of control. I've seen Laura a few times since I first went to speak to her. I remember back on that day. I saw Ross leaving her apartment and he did not look good. I've only seen him like that once before. I thought I might as well ask Laura what's going on with her and Rocky. I knew it was her apartment because I've been there once before. When we were talking we got interrupted by a knock at the door.

I was waiting while Laura went to answer the door. I heard a women's voice, maybe it was one of Laura's friends? Soon Laura returned with who I must of heard at the door.

"How long do I have then?" Laura asks the women, she seems upset.

"Well until the end of the month but I suggest sooner because it will become unliveable, people everywhere coming in and out. You don't want that do you?" She replies.

"No, I guess not. I wish you told me sooner and I would have prepared something. I don't know if I can find somewhere on such short notice." Laura tells the person she is with.

"You could try your parents. That's where you were before right?" The women suggests.

"Yeah I guess but going back there? I like being independent." Laura explains.

"I'm so sorry Laura. I came as soon as I could. I didn't want you finding out by random people knocking on your door one day." The women apologises.

"I understand. It's fine I'm sure I will find somewhere." Laura smiles but I could tell there was worry underneath that smile.

"Thank you for understanding." She pauses for a slight second before speaking again.

"Well I'm off but I'm sure I will see you around the holidays and I'll ring you on your birthday."

She then looks at me and smiles and whispers something to Laura.

I don't hear what she says but by Laura reaction I don't think I need to know what it was.

The women hugs Laura and waves at me and then she is gone. I had no idea what is going on hopefully Laura will explain.

The women looked like she cared about Laura in her own way, but I wasn't sure how that was. I'm still not really sure who she was. She looked older maybe a relative. Now that I think of it Laura and her did share some of the same features.

"She seems nice." I say awkwardly.

"Oh right. That was my aunt this is her apartment, well was. I was staying here while she was away. Turns out she liked being away so much she is going to be away, permanently, and she sold this place." Laura explains.

"Oh." I say.

"I guess I could move back into my parents house but I don't really want to. It would be like moving back a step, you know?" Laura says me.

"I'd offer for you to come back to live with me but I don't think that would be such a good idea."

"It's fine Riker. I do have until the end of the month so maybe I will find somewhere before then." Laura suggests.

"Maybe, I'll let you know if I think somewhere though." I smile.

"Thanks." Laura replies.

"I could help you pack up some stuff if you need any help." I offer.

"That would be great thank you." Laura accepts my offer.

"I have time if you want to start now?" I ask.

"I can't today. I have a family dinner at my parents house but I'll text you tomorrow, okay?" Laura tells me.

"Okay, well I'll leave you to it then." I say heading to the door.

"Riker?" Laura calls out.

"Yeah?" I reply turning around.

"Do you think that Ross will get over it? Do you think we'll be us again? Like the way we used to before this whole thing happened?" Laura asks with a weak voice.

"That's hard to say. I want to say yes and that everything will be okay, but I can't promise that." I say truthfully.

Laura looks down and it seems like she looks everywhere on the floor that she possibly can to avoid looking up.

"He said it wasn't the end but a little part of me doesn't believe him. He said some stuff that makes me think he never wants to see me again." Laura looks as though she wasn't sure if she was done talking or not. It was as though she had more to say but she didn't know if she wanted to say it.

"Just give him time and I'm sure everything will be fine." I say hopefully.

Since then Ross hasn't given any sign of seeing Laura again. I haven't see Ross that much, no one has really. He's here when he needs to be but then he's off again. When he is here his mind's somewhere else. I'm worried, I have no idea where he is going or what he's doing.

"Hey man." Ross walks past my room.

"Wait, Ross." I call out.

"Yeah?" He stops where he is and waits for me to catch up to him.

Lately this has been his mood all the time, blank. No ups or downs just the same. That's what I mean by his mind is somewhere else. His expression is always the same. When a smile might happen it always goes away.

"So, what have you been up to?" I try and say casually so he doesn't think I'm investigating him or something.

"Nothing much." He replies even more casual then I do.

There is no way I'm getting answers out of him.

"I was thinking of playing some hockey later." I tell him.

"Sounds good." He says with no emotions.

"I was thinking of making it just the guys." I start explaining the details to him.

Ross is nodding along as I'm talking.

"Yeah just me, Ryland, Rocky.."

Ross stops nodding but lets me finish until he speaks.

"I'm going to take a nap but wake me up before you go and I might come if I'm feeling up to it." He says not revealing any slight hint of how he is actually feeling.

"Okay, I'll talk to you later then. Have a nice nap." I say awkwardly.

Ross walks off and I go back to my room. Usually he would have given me a weird look if I said something like that. I don't know why I said have a nice nap I was just excited that he said he might come.

If I can just get Rocky and Ross talking again then maybe he will want to get back together with Laura and he get back to his normal self.

/ / / / / / /

This is sort of a filler chapter. I just wanted to post something because I haven't updated in I don't even know how long. I'm officially done with school now though! I'm on my summer holidays and I don't go back until February, so that's lots of time for me to write!

I'll try and get the next chapter out as soon as possible because that will just be Ross and Laura!!

Until next time...

// H e r e C o m e s F o r e v e r _ x o 💕 //