Chapter 6: Lonely

Sitting silently on the wooden engawa by the training grounds. Your eyes wandered around the room as if acting as a way to keep them busy. You did not utter a single word since leaving UA, choosing to remain quiet and closed off throughout the entire trip home. Shōtō, who noticed your unusually down nature, said nothing of it and thought you needed your space to think. You were always known for being meek and shy. But now you were clearly troubled and he knew this but didn't know what to do.

With Shōtō's huffs, grunts, and footsteps being the only sound that can be heard on the training ground, aside from the leaves rustling and the water in the pond, it was quiet.

In silence Shōtō, though physically training, waited for you to tell what happened since you always confided in him when something is bothering with you. But after a couple of days, your silence has become quite nerve racking. The sight of you only staring at the sky, wordlessly activating your quirk to keep your brother from feeling tired, this usually being your form of training as well as to help Shōtō continue his own.

After grueling days of silence. Shōtō was blessed with the sweet sound of your voice but-- "Shōtō, do you think that I pass?" You softly ask trying to hide the underlying tone of sadness hidden in its context.

Not pausing his training Shōtō gave you a quick glance before speaking. "From what you told about how your exam went. There is a high possibility you didn't even make it to the hero courses." He bluntly answered making you nod solemnly.

"I thought so..." You smiled.

"Hey, if I don't make it to UA, what will you do?" Your sudden question causes him to pause and look at you curiously. "I continue on as usual."

You laugh at his quick response knowing full well that's was what he was gonna say. "You're not even gonna miss me?" You ask resting your chin on your folded knees as he scrunches his eyebrows in visible confusion.

"I see you here all the time. I won't miss you one bit," Shōtō says with an indifferent face. Now, this is where you wished you had tears to give.

Even though you're quirk blessed you with an amazing tolerance to nerve wracking situations and the patience of an old sage. You wished that it didn't restrict you from expressing yourself. Getting angry at people when they say something bad about your brother, crying to show that you were hurt.

No matter how much you trained your face to shape the expressions of such over the years. You can't not admit that they weren't even genuine. If not for show.

That's specifically why Shōtō can't take your sadness as seriously as a stranger.

Cause he already knows that its not entirely true.

[--]

More days has passed since the exams and you mostly just stayed quiet throughout the wait. 'I failed for sure.' Is what you always told yourself every chance you get.

Fuyumi tried to cheer you up, but it didn't really do anything.

Now staring out your open window in your and Shōtō's shared room, you couldn't help but whisk yourself away to daydream. You told your brother that you were staying in your room for the day cause you were still tired. When he heard that, he told you that you can just absorb energy from him but you insisted you wanted to rest normally.

Since it was Shōtō, you knew for sure that he got in with an incredibly high score in his exams, both written and practical. You were more concerned with your own. 'I failed for sure...' You worriedly thought again.

Hugging your knees close to you on your chair. You were so caught up with your testing thoughts that didn't hear the knock from the entrance of your room. The door opened with a slight creak, this time, catching your attention.