Chapter 26: Race On! (2)

"Freedom?" You mutter the word so softly and hesitantly as if it was something confusing and new to you.

'Freedom... In school... It doesn't matter what you do?' It couldn't latch on to your brain for some reason. All you could do was repeat those phrases in hopes to grasp a better understanding but you really were at a standstill.

Why were you so enchanted by such a word? It is a word with a vast meaning. Almost everyone has heard it and familiarize themselves with it but why are you so aloof about it? Moving on their own, your legs moved, following the crowd to the starting point of the race.

You were so stuck in your daze that you almost missed Shinsō's call for you. "Todoroki..." He mutters making you jump in shock from his sudden appearance at your side.

"Hope you've not forgotten--"

"No need to let others hear on us. I will do my best!" You chirp happily while you quickly looked around meeting eyes with people who were looking your way. Shinsō let out a thoughtful him before he nodded stoically.

"Make sure you will not fall out in the here." His words make you giggle.

"I was gonna say that to you!" Before you could speak any longer, the umpire chief announces the beginning of the race. Now with the lights on the gate went out, she shouted to all the students.

"Start!"

They wasted no time, like mice, the students scurried into the narrow way causing a ruckus and roughly pushed each other to try and get ahead.

'So crowded..!' You whine in distaste as people keep getting pushed against you. You even didn't like it when you would get nudged harshly by wandering elbows and sharp shoulders. 'This is getting annoying!' You fumed taking it into yourself to escape the crowd. But somehow, the world was nice to you.

Clashing into a large body you let out a grunt in pain. "I don't like this!" You squeak only for you to gasp as large hands grabbed you and brought you into an enclosed hug. The warmth of the owner made you feel protected and safe, you could absolutely stay in here for hours.

"Are you alright?" Asked Shoji who's voice effectively broke past the yells and into your ears like music.

"Shoji!" You gleefully exclaim noticing his arms shielding you from the crowd of students. "I know this is a competition... But watching you get shoved around when I could lend a hand doesn't sit well with me." He shyly said making you brighten with joy.

"I hope I can return the favor... Huh?" You perked your head up with alarm as you notice the temperature drop drastically.

'This is..!' Through widen eyes, you started to hear shouts of surprise and anger as people start to become stuck in place. 'Shōtō's ice!'

"Watch out--" Shoji warned too late as the ice cast over you freezing the people around you with their feet stuck on the ground. "Let's go!" You quickly ushered grabbing Shoji by one of his hands and dragging him through the forest of students frozen in place.

Many of them tried to break out of the ice but to some, it pulled on their skin making them winch in pain, to others it was too cold to move, but there are many who were able to break out of their cold prison and those who dodged the move entirely to escape the narrow allay-like way. Shoji was out of words as your both push through till you stopped behind the crowd of people.

"How..." He wanted to ask but lack the breath to speak. Passing by a human carriage you waved over to the purple-haired make student that smirked at your way but glared at Shoji.

'How did you dodge the ice? It's as if it completely missed us!' That was the question he wanted to ask but he didn't get the chance for your road was blocked by familiar electronic sentinel with deep threatening gurgle robotic voices.