Chapter 9: Connections

"Alright, here is the scoreboard. After viewing your scores, go change back and stay inside the classroom until lunch break." Your teacher informed as he looks at his clipboard, a small device on the other hand.

With a click of a button, the holographic image showed up and gasps, sigh, and awes were heard from around the class.

"Wow, Todoroki-chan, you made it first! I am so jealous!" Tomodaichi squeal shaking you in exhilaration. Others who saw your score started chattering amongst themselves with you in awe and amazement at your achievement.

Feeling modest you nervously inched away from the growing crowd but they all seem to be following you as you head to the changing room.

'What is going???' You worriedly thought trying to keep up with the class's conversation.

"You were so cool during the test, Toto-chan!" One of your classmates comments making you blush in confusion. 'Toto-chan...? Is that a nickname?'

"R-Really?"

"Yeah! In almost all of the test, you didn't break a sweat!"

"I wish I was like you!"

'I wouldn't think the same...' You showed a rather bashful smile until you bumped into someone's back. "S-Sorry...!" You quickly apologized but to your shock, it was Shinsō who you bumped into.

His indifferent look made you panic since you weren't sure if you made him mad or not.

"Don't get cocky." He mutters lowly to you before he continued his trek.

'...?' You blinked unsure how to respond to that. But to your aid, Tomodaichi defended you huffing at the purple-haired classmate "You don't get cocky too, Shinsō!" she shouted at him loudly.

"What's with him?"

"Probably jealous or frustrated."

"Ah geez, I hope I don't get on his bad side..." Your classmates mutter under their breath watching him walk to the changing room.

"H-Hey, don't be like that..." You jumped in "What he said is a piece of pretty good advice. I shouldn't cocky since there are people in the hero courses or someone else in our class that could outdo me." Your reasoning and quirk were able to clear up the tension and your classmates apologized for jumping ahead.

But the blonde who defended you frowned. "Hey, Todoroki-chan, why did you defend him? He seriously called you out as a confident prick! You shouldn't let him do that!" She whispered into your ear pulling you back from the crowd.

"Its fine Tomodaichi-san, I really don't mind cause I know what I'm capable of, but I do need someone to remind me of my place."

'Plus, Shōtō told me not to make any enemies too early in the school year...'

"Hmm... What a pushover..." Tomodaichi sighed in defeat before grinning  "Fine if you say so!"

Quickly after she sped off to her little group, leaving you behind. 'Tomodaichi has a lot of friends,' you thought in awe 'How does she do that?'.

[--]

Chattering in the cafeteria was exceptionally loud, but to you, it was all but deafening muffles. With droopy eyes, you sat down staring out the large window.

You are in a small area where benches are lined in a square arrangement. The place was rather desolate since most of the students are still in the cafeteria either buying their lunch or eating there.

"I heard Lunch Rush is cooking the food," you mutter disappointedly," they say his food is incredible... Sad that my brother won't let me eat until I finished my training..." you sigh looking down at the plant on your lap.

You kind of stuffed it in your bag and left it there throughout the entire morning. You were supposed to time how fast you can drain the plant of its energy without making it wilt.

"In every being there is a certain amount of energy that is actually able to be used offensively and one that keeps a living organism, living..." you mutter to yourself staring at the green sapling.

As slow as can be, the plant ever so slightly started to wilt. But the change was so slow that it wasn't really noticeable to many.

"But because they were quite similar, its always hard to drain energy without disturbing that life energy supply. Though that kind of energy is always being regenerated by the body anyway." you panic when you notice the wilt and stopped absorbing.

"I usually can do this at exceptional speed... But that was because the previous plant was smaller..." You complain with a huff. "But I just prefer to take what I need..."

"The fuck you are talking about out loud?" a gruff voice that sounded so close spoke just over you making you jump in surprise "Do you seriously want the whole world to know your weakness? Just by how much you're spilling right now, I wouldn't be surprised."

You aired a nervous chuckle feeling shy and embarrassed that someone caught you talking to yourself. You almost lost any confidence in facing the person.

"Ah... Well, its a bad habit since the silence kinda makes me unnerve... Ah?"

Looking down at you was a familiar face, but unlike the other times you have met him, he actually voluntarily walked up to you. Though the idea was a bit weak though probable, you are alone in a hall. With hands in his pockets and his uniform not exactly kept as neatly, the blonde tilted his head with a raised brow.

"Are you gonna keep fucking stare at me like a dead fish or are you gonna explain to me what you did the other day?" The male grumbles making your mind go blank for a second.

"Explain... the other day?" You were genuinely confused about what he was talking about making the blonde frown impatient with your clueless look.

"What you fucking did the other day. You did some shit with your quirk that time, cause now I keep being able to tell where you are at a certain distance." The blonde grumbled roughly taking a seat next to you just facing the opposite way from you.

"As helpful as that may be in the fucking future, I do not like the unexpected jolts I get from time to time!" He scowled flinching a little when he the said jolt again.

"It's fucking annoying and keeps making me lose my focus."

You hummed softly in thought 'What happened the 'other day'? Yesterday maybe? I don't remember doing anything to him but look into his eyes...'

'Well... the window to the soul has always been one's eyes, where most of the energy gets accumulated and sent around the body like blood...'

"Well..." Your voice trailed off catching his attention "I... actually don't know..." you nervously laugh "Energies making links with one another is not something I usually do regularly or master. The only thing I can think of that is similar, is for locating purposes."

You explained to the blonde, who seemed to be listening but with a deep frown. "But, I don't remember being able to send... jolts? I still have to figure that out..."

Hearing that the blonde clicked his tongue before standing up "Well, when you fucking do figure it out, tell me immediately!" he barked making you flinch at the tone and volume. And again by instinct, your quirk activated itself and kept the blonde from getting too angry. Noticing the shift in himself with his emotions, he harshly sighed stomping off.

"S-Sorry I couldn't do anything..." You called out to him just before he left earshot.

"Achoo!"