Chapter 28: The Cavalry Has Arrived

You stood next to Shinsō as he stared at the screen that once again appeared behind Midnight. It started itself again beginning to spin like a slot machine. "UA sports festivals' first stage!" Cheered the lady as she flicked her whip. "Although I know what it is-- but what could it be? What could it be?~"

'Why waste such time asking, you know what it is and we will too.' You stared blankly at the woman who was teasing the nerve and anxiety of the students who stand before her.

After the preliminary everyone was grouped together for the announcement of the next Many. Many of your classmates held down-trotted expressions as they gave their 'good luck' to both you and Shinsō but they did put up their best smiles to encourage you.

This inspired you to do well and make it the last rounds so you can carry your classmates' pride.

"Here it is! The second event where 42 participants who passed will participate in"

"-- is the Cavalry Battle!" She declared earning grunts of surprise and excitement softly whisper between the students around you.

You let out a soft hum in sadness though, earning glances from your friend. "What is it?" Shinsō asked to be replied by the shake of your head as you tried to awe his worries. "It's nothing. I was just remembering how I wasn't allowed to play games like these during sports festivals in my middle school years."

"Why?" His question had no answer. Your brain riddled with inquiries, and questions but none was good enough to satisfy your blank memory.

"I don't know..."

"Listen up!" Roared the woman on the stage whipping her whip in the air.

"The participants can form teams of two to four as they wish. It's basically the same as a regular cavalry battle, but the one thing that is different is... based on the results of the previous game, each person has been assigned to a point value." The visuals of the scales changed and showed the full list of people who made.

Just watching it though, made you frown physically, although it never holds any negative emotions since it reminded you how close you are to not making it.

"And the points assigned go up by five starting from the bottom. So, 42nd place got five points and 41st got ten points!" At the corner of your eye, you saw some of the class 1A already wondering about the rest of the mechanics unintentionally interrupting Midnight.

"Did they have to say it out loud?" Shinsō thought clearly irked by the top class as if their voices were noise from some annoying remix stuck on replay.

You couldn't really say anything to help soothe him for you had no words to express your 'annoyance' cause you don't have any. The least you could do was pet his arm in a comforting manner. One which served its purpose cooling down the male's bitterness.

"More trials for those at the top. You'll hear this many times, as long as you attend UA. This is plus ultra... Qualifier's first place; Midoriya Izuku. Appointed points is... 10 million!"

The revelation brought silence among the competitors as they stared at the first place, a boy with green locks named Midoriya. He was beyond horrified at the info too and had wide eyes as he looked back to the crowd who sought to overthrow him.

"The time limit is 15 minutes, each team is worth the total of the members' points and the rider will wear the headband with the point written on it." Midnight explained further after she shrieks in anger for interrupting her. At least that made Shinsō peek a little smirk.

"Grab each other's headbands and compete for the highest points." Your eyes skimmed through the visual presentation of the mechanics. It was quite entertaining for you to watch as they played through. "Stolen headbands must be worn neck up. The more you'll take the more difficult it will be to maintain."