Claustrophobia // Zach & Zonah

This was not a suggested prompt, but who cares. The title says it all. Anyways, please like, comment, vote and enjoy. :)

Word Count: 1235
—————

Zach never has liked elevators. Or anything small in general. He hates elevators, closets, showers, and even dressing rooms. Anything even remotely small, Zach despises with a burning passion. And today was no different.

—————

The tour bus arrives at the tall office-like building, and all the boys jump out. "It's so cramped in there", Jonah says. "How do you think I feel?", Zach says comedically. Everyone laughs, as they walk in through the doors of the facility. As Jonah talks to an employee, Zach tries to calm his nerves. He really can't help them. Elevators are like kryptonite to him. But. Zach knows he has to suck it for his band mates. And I guess it's better then walking up 9 flights of stairs.

—————

As they walked down the long hallway towards the elevators, Zach counted the patterns on the ground below him. It keeps Zach's mind off of the actual elevator. That is, until they reach the actual elevator. Zach looks up from his feet, and stares at the huge contraption. He closes his eyes, takes a deep breath in, and finally decides to just suck it up. For 9 floors that is.

Zach's POV

When we reached the doors to the elevator, I could feel my heart beat speed up. "You'll be fine", Jonah says, putting a reassuring hand on my shoulder. I just nod, and turn around to count my fingers. The elevator makes a dinging sound, making all of us look at it. I can hear it coming. I start biting my nails, trying to stay calm. Jonah yet again sets his hand on my shoulder and gives a comforting squeeze. I take another deep breath, preparing myself for the elevator. "It's only 9 floors. Just don't think about it", Jonah says. I hesitantly nod in his direction, but continue to bite my nails. The elevator finally comes down, letting off 2 people on our floor. I'm the last one to step in the elevator for obvious reasons. I step in the middle to not feel as claustrophobic, and so I can also be the first one off. I stare at the elevator number, progressively ascending. 3, it says. Suddenly the bright red number begins to flicker. Then it turns off. A sudden jerk sends me and everyone else into panic mode. Then just as the elevator stops, the lights go out. And there we are, in complete darkness.

—————

Jonah's POV

Riding elevators is always a hassle. Not because of us, but because of Zach. But it is definitely not his fault. We don't mind him being scared of elevators, as long as we don't have to walk up 9 flights of stairs.

As we reach the doors to the elevator, I look over at Zach. The poor kid is beyond nervous, breathing heavily and pacing. I place a hand on his shoulder. "You'll be fine", I say. Zach just faintly nods, but goes back to what he was previously doing. The elevator makes a high pitched ringing sound, which alerts us that the elevator is near. We all look over at Zach. Sure enough, he's no calmer than before. Now biting his nails, trying to not think about what lies ahead. I put a firm grip on Zach's shoulder with my hand. "It's only 9 floors. Just don't think about it", I tell him. As we walk inside the elevator Zach is the last one in, also wanting to be the first one out. I stare at my phone checking my Twitter feed, when a sudden jerk catches my attention. I peer over at Zach, who is on the verge of a panic attack. Then everything in the elevator, goes black. And the first thing I think of is Zach.

Zach's POV

I feel a wave of panic rush over me like a wave. Even in the pitch black, even though I can't see the walls, they still feel like they're closing in on me, second by second. My heart rate drastically picks up pace, almost beating out of my chest. I can't breathe. I begin to cry, but quietly, and allow myself to slide down into a ball. "Zach?", I hear a voice say. I don't bother to look up. My whole body is shaking, and I feel helpless. "Zach? Hey listen, it'll be ok", I hear another voice say. But will it really be?

General POV

"Zach? Hey listen, it'll be ok", Jonah says. Zach tries to believe those words, but can't bring himself to do it. Just in time, the lights begin to flicker, then turn on completely. The lights reveal a heartbreaking sight. As soon as the light turn back on, everybody looks around for Zach. And there he is, curled up in a ball on the ground, crying and shaking, desperately trying to catch his breath. Jonah immediately kneels down next to him, while Zach presses the red HELP button. "Hey, hey, hey. It's ok, calm down bud. You need to breathe", he says. All the other boys gather around Zach, which doesn't make things much better. "S-stop. Y-you're t-too close", Zach practically yells. All the boys step to one side, while Jonah kneels at the other. "Zach, I know you're scared, but you need to calm down", Jonah says. "I c-c-can't", he stutters back. Jonah rubs Zach's sweaty back. "Zach, count how many words are on my shirt", Jonah says. Zach looks up. "What are you doing?", Daniel whispers quiet enough for Zach not to hear. "He always counts stuff when he's anxious. Maybe it'll help him calm down", Jonah replies. Everyone else nods. "Count out loud", he says. "1,2,3,4", Zach counts. But he stops at 13. "Keep counting bud", Jonah says. But Zach doesn't keep counting. Instead, he panics more, his sobbing and shaking becoming more aggressive. "It's too small", Zach says. "I know, Zach. We'll be out soon", he says. Jonah pulls Zach into his lap, and strokes his hair. Zach's breathing calms, but he continues shaking. "That good. Take deep breaths", Jonah says. Sure enough, Zach intakes a shaky breath, followed by a shakier exhale. Suddenly the elevator starts to move. Zach looks up at Jonah with terrified eyes. "We're going up", Corbyn says. "Thank god", Jonah replies. Zach takes a breath of relief, knowing that they'll get out. They arrive at the top floor with a ding. The door opens to a tall middle aged man, presumably the manager. Everyone gets out, while Jonah helps Zach up. "Th-thanks", Zach says. "We sincerely apologize for all of this. This has never happened before, and we've had these elevators checked countless times. Is your friend okay over there?", he asks Jonah eyeing Zach. "Yeah. He just doesn't like tight spaces, so you know, elevators aren't really his favorite thing. Especially when they break down", Jonah says in a calm tone. "Again we are so sorry about that. Does he want a water", the manager says. "That would be great", Jonah replies. Zach sits down on a nearby bench, with a little help from Jonah. He lays down on Jonah's lap, exhausted from the previous events. Jonah strokes Zach's sweaty hair, feeling obligated to as a "big brother". They had to take the elevator back down to the first floor, which Zach was luckily asleep for. The boys were all just glad that it was over.