one

Disclaimer: Characters belong to Rick Riordan. (Set right before TBL starts).

The car skidded to a stop at the red light.

"You have enough drachmas to Iris-Message me, right?"

"Yes."

"Riptide?"

"Always returns."

"And Annabeth will be there?"

I felt the heat rise to my cheeks, but kept my face turned toward the window. I said, "I thought we were naming essentials."

My mom smiled, giving me a smug look through the the rearview mirror. The light turned green, and she focused her eyes on the road again.

"Me too."

"Mom!" She stopped teasing me, but her grin only grew. As we neared Half-Blood Hill, her eyes turned the color of the gray sky, resembling so much to Annabeth's that it scared me.

When we slowed to a stop at camp, I climbed out of the car quickly, taking a deep breath of fresh air. I gagged. I guess I'd forgotten that I was allergic to any oxygen that wasn't intoxicated with car fumes. Manhattan suddenly seemed so far away.

"Miss the city already, Seaweed Brain?"

I turned to look behind me, and I was met by Annabeth, who had her arms crossed and her lips pulled up into a smirk. I noticed we were the same height. What a relief.

"Oh, please." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my mom speaking with Annabeth's dad. "I came early. I have to go back in a week for my orientation, anyway."

"Then why'd you come?" she asked. Her eyebrows were furrowed together and she tucked a strand of her blonde, curly hair behind her ear. I gulped.

"I, uh, missed...camp." And a certain blonde, my self-conscious noted. Shut up, I told it.

Annabeth's eyes began to sparkle, and I had to fight the loud voice in my head telling me to sprint away.

She said, "yeah, well, camp missed you too." She shouldered her backpack and sent me a sideways smile as she walked past. "See you around...assuming you aren't killed."

My face felt a little warm, but I willed my lips to form a smile. "Back at you, Wise Girl."

Once Annabeth was out of my view, I started to help my mom take my bags out of the car, ignoring the knowing looks she would give me.

Yes, it was short, but it's a drabble. I hope you guys like it. Whenever I post little ones like this, I'll be posting other ones very soon or along with it. Thanks for reading !