Immortal Love

"Annabeth!"

I turned to the sound of a familiar voice. For a minute, I thought about leaving. I considered ignoring him and walking away.

I turned around, and in a shy tone, said, "hi." Percy smiled that same, troublemaker smile that followed me wherever I went. He looked as dashing as ever, just as he had in every single other lifetime.

"I think I liked the 1920's better than the 2020's," he laughed. "I'm just glad you're finally past the stage."

Despite my brain telling me to walk away, that it wouldn't work out, my heart was bursting with emotion.

Allow me to backtrack. I am the only person I know who can remember my past lifetimes, the only one who seems to remember who I used to be before I died. I was born in 1889, and I originally met Percy Jackson in 1918. Not long after, I learned he was an immortal god who could appear as any age as he pleased. We grew old together. I died in 1971. I was reborn in 1972, but tragically died in 1993. For the first sixteen years of my life, I didn't remember my first life. When I finally started to remember it, I went insane. I met Percy again at a diner, but my parents disapproved of him. I stormed out of a family dinner one night and got run over by a car passing by.

I was reborn in 1994. I am currently 26 years old, so I've been thinking about Percy for ten years now. I tried to convince myself to find someone else, to date someone new.

"My new parents named me Jacky," I told him. "I still go by Annabeth. They can't figure out why."

"I think any name would suit you," he replied. He grazed my face with his cheek. "But the name Annabeth has been stuck in my head for a century."

I hummed and leaned in to his touch. From the corner of my eye, I could see my friends glancing at me from the other side of the bar.

"I have to tell them," I said.

"That you're coming with me?" Percy's eyes stared at me with hope and excitement. I nodded. He squeezed my hand before I walked over to my friends and told them I was leaving with Percy, a 'childhood friend'. Which childhood? I wasn't too specific on that.

They all winked at me or gave me looks of amusement as I walked out with him.

"I've missed you," he said once we were outside. "But as always, you're worth waiting for."

I smiled up at him. I could see new hope in his eyes, just like the first night we'd met. I leaned in and kissed him.

Maybe we were destined to an inevitable, repeating fate. Maybe we would never figure out a way to be together forever. For now, though, I just wanted to be in his arms.

————-
this is so shorttttt but i've had this idea stuck in my head for a while. i think i saw it as a tumblr post? idk
anyways, stay safe and don't forget to wear your mask! also don't forget to CONTINUE to fight for justice for people of the black community. as always, i stand with you. #blacklivesmatter