The Basketball Player

Percy Jackson is not my boyfriend.

Friends hold hands, alright? Friends can walk each other to class, cuddle when watching a movie, play with each other's hair...

But I don't care what anyone says. I've known Percy since I was four, we've been best friends since we were ten, and there's nothing in the world that could break us apart.

There's no way in hell that I would ever let myself believe the rumors. Because if I did...I might just admit to myself that I have feelings for Percy.

;;;

"Morning, Princess," Percy said. He leaned against the locker next to mine, his lips pulled up into an easy-going smirk.

If anyone else called me that, I'd beat their ass, but it was just Percy. He's called me that since we were kids, and all because of my curly hair.

"Morning, turd," I replied.

"Are you coming to my game today?"

I shut my locker and stared up at him, trying to detect any sarcasm. His gaze was serious and worried, so I guessed he wasn't joking.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world," I told him. Percy bit his lip to hide his smile, but I noticed it anyway.

Someone whistled at us, but I ignored it.

"I'll see you later?"

Percy smiled. "Definitely."

;;;

I was surprised when I felt a pair of lips pressed against my ear during lunch.

"Meet me in the gym," Percy whispered, ignoring the smirks and knowing looks he received from my friends at the lunch table. He walked away towards the door, and I blushed.

"He was...close," Piper teased.

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, stop being such children."

"It seems to me that you're the one who's flustered, Miss Chase," Thalia said. Her eyes shone like stars. "Or should I say, Pri-"

"Okay!" I stood up abruptly. "I'm leaving now."

I tried to think of different topics as my friends made kissing noises behind me, but the only person that popped into my mind was Percy.

;;;

"Hello?"

Percy picked up his dribble and turned around, smiling when I stared to walk towards him. His hair stuck to his forehead due to his sweat.

"Hey."

"Any specific reason I was summoned?"

He stared down at the floor for a few moments before admitting, "I'm nervous."

I sighed and stepped toward him, having to look up to meet his eyes. I wrapped my arms around his waist, and he wrapped his around my shoulders, letting himself envelope into the hug.

I rubbed circles on his back until he started running his hands through my hair.

"You're going to do great," I assured him. Percy didn't seem convinced.

"It's Fairmont. We've always lost by a few points."

I rolled my eyes and pulled away from the hug. "Percy," I said. "Do you think anyone else is practicing during lunch? Your dedication and natural skill in unmatched, and your team is in really good shape altogether. Everything is going to be fine."