Homecoming

Because the best writing happens when i'm in tears and eating out of a pint of ice cream

"Let me get this clear..." Percy propped his arm on the counter top and narrowed his eyes at Annabeth. "You want to be my girlfriend?"

"Fake girlfriend," she corrected. Her face was a little red, but she didn't let her gaze fall from his eyes.

"And, why exactly would you want that?"

Annabeth sighed. She took a sip from her chocolate shake and turned back to look at Percy. He had agreed to meet up with her at the local diner previously, mainly because she never texted him and he figured it must have been some sort of emergency. Not to mention he watched her everyday in awe of her perfection...shut up.

"You and I are about to be chosen as Homecoming King and Queen," she said, pulling out her phone. She logged into an app that was just a bunch of bar graphs and-

"Oh no," Percy shut his eyes tight. "Not math. We both know I suck at that."

Annabeth smirked at his antics.

"Percy, calm the fuck down. It's the running for the titles. Right now, we're winning." She pointed to the bars behind their own. "You see that? Those are Thalia's and Luke's. They're right behind us."

"So?" Percy asked. He quickly took a sip out of Annabeth's milkshake. She swatted his hand. "I honestly couldn't give two fucks about this."

"But I do." Annabeth's gray eyes pierced into Percy's. "I have some history with Thalia and Luke and...please, Percy. When have I ever asked you for anything?"

"Pencil, third grade," he blurted out. Annabeth blinked at him.

"What?"

"You asked for a pencil when we were in third grade. I was so excited...I had a big crush on you back then, you know."

Annabeth smiled lightly. "Back then?" she asked. Percy winked at her.

He took another sip of her milkshake because damn, it was good, and he looked at her.

"What does us dating have to do with you winning this, though?" he asked. Annabeth sat up straight, obviously thinking she had won him over.

"If we look like we're dating, more people will vote for us. Think about it, Percy, we're the most popular people in school. If we date, we'll win the titles for sure."

Percy glanced at her. Annabeth was watching him hopefully.

"Okay," he decided. She cheered.

***

One week later and Percy knew he fucked up.

They held hands, he kissed her on the cheek and forehead, Annabeth always did this thing where she put her hand on his cheek and looked into his eyes...and it all drove Percy insane.

His little crush on her had grown massively, and something inside of him was regretting doing this whole fake-relationship thing at all.

Once people found out, the voting soared. There was no way in hell they would lose now.

But Percy didn't care about that. He only cared about figuring out whether Annabeth was flirting with him at times, or if it was just for the show.

Once, she told him that she didn't want to kiss him because when they were going to kiss, she wanted it to be real. Percy had teased her and Annabeth turned blood red, but he didn't know if it was because she actually liked him or because she fumbled her words and accidentally embarrassed herself.

He decided to go with the first one.

***

The night of Homecoming came all too soon. Annabeth and Percy were still in the lead by far, but his mind wasn't on that topic. He was currently standing outside her front door, not sure if he was ready to see how beautiful she would look. He straightened his tie and knocked.

Annabeth opened the door with a huge smile on her face.  She was wearing a lavender, long dress with sequins on the top. Below her waist, the dress flowed so long that you couldn't see her shoes. Her hair was down past her shoulders in their natural, curly state.

"Wow," Percy sighed. "You look gorgeous."

Annabeth blushed.

"Oh, you don't have to say that. There's no one around."

Percy grabbed her hands gently. She seemed a little surprised at the action.

"I mean it, Beth," he said. You're beautiful."

It was nice because he didn't say, you look beautiful, or the dress is beautiful. He said she was beautiful. Annabeth grabbed his cheek with her hand and smiled at him softly. His sea-green eyes sparkled.

They eventually stopped being corny and made it to the dance. Percy opened every door for her and his friends patted him on the back as he walked in. He beamed.

As the dance went on and Percy danced with Annabeth more, he let himself slip into a universe where he was actually dating Annabeth. He could kiss her. He just needed to...nope.

Percy still smiled at her though, because how could you not be happy around someone so perfect like Annabeth Chase?

When a faculty member announced the Homecoming King and Queen, it was no surprise that Percy and Annabeth won. She made a speech where she thanked everyone, but Percy had a different idea.

"Uh, hey," he spoke into the microphone. "I'm sure that most of you know I'm dating Annabeth." A couple a cheers erupted from the crowd. He smiled. "I just want to say...she's great, you guys. She's the smartest, funniest, most beautiful girl I've ever met. She'll kick my butt in soccer then give me a kiss and help me up, only to talk smack all the way back home." Some people in the crowd laughed a little.

Percy daringly glanced at Annabeth. Her eyes were sparkling. The memory was real, (they had a friendly match of soccer the other day) minus the kissing part.

"I don't deserve this crown in the slightest. But Annabeth..." Percy looked down and smiled. "She deserves the world." Everyone in the crowd began clapping and cheering, and Annabeth let a tear fall from her right eye. She grabbed his hand and they made their way back to the dance floor, where a slow song was playing.

"That was really sweet," she told him, wrapping her arms around his neck. Percy wrapped his own around her waist.

"I meant it," he told her bravely. "I really like you, Annabeth."

She blinked at him a few times before getting on her tip-toes and grabbing his cheek with her hand.

"I really like you too, Percy," she said, right before crashing her lips onto his.

He responded almost immediately, pulling her closer and closing his eyes tight. Annabeth's lips were soft against his and he felt like he was flying.

They pulled back for air and Percy rested his forehead on Annabeth's.

"I..." he trailed off.

"What?" she asked.

"I just...Will you be my girlfriend? For real, this time?"

Annabeth stared at Percy with loving eyes.

"I think we can both agree that what we have here was always real."

haha really awkward ending bc i wasn't gonna give up on the whole story just because i didn't know how to end it *finger guns*
this chapter was inspired but a *special* part in my solangelo book GO CHECK IT OUTT!!!
watched a lot of danny gonzalez today...really funny dude, go check him out on youtube
anyways thanks for reading, this keeps me sane when i'm mad-crying
-reyna:)))