Through Blue Eyes

Luke isn't sure who this Percy Jackson kid is, but he certainly doesn't like his vibe.

Percy has an aura of power around him, but it's clear that he doesn't know it. He stumbles into Camp Half-Blood dazed and heartbroken over his mother, and Luke doesn't understand why Annabeth sympathizes with him.

Sure, she doesn't show it, but Luke knows her well enough to know. She cares.

And then Percy turns out to be a son of Poseidon, and Luke finally understands.

He's the one. He's the one who will either help Luke's plan or destroy it.

When Percy and Annabeth return from their quest, Luke is conflicted. He should feel ecstatic—his plan worked!

So why does his chest tighten at the sight of Percy and Annabeth laughing alongside each other? Why does he feel uneasy as he watches them spend more time together? Why does he feel a ping of doubt in his heart when he notices the trust Percy has earned from Annabeth, the kind that took Luke years to receive?

And—it isn't jealousy on a romantic level. It just isn't.

Annabeth's like a little sister to Luke. He just always had the vision of coming clean to her about his plan to destroy the gods, and that she would join him.

Why wouldn't she? He was her only family.

But now...there was a reason for her to stay. Percy was gaining a hold on Annabeth's heart with every passing day.

Luke still has confidence, though. After all they'd been through, of course Annabeth would follow him. They were family.

Luke lost hope on the Fourth of July.

;;;

Percy and Annabeth say goodbye to Grover, and then proceed to snuggle up as they watch the fireworks.

Luke winces when he notices Percy staring at Annabeth with a mix of amazement and adoration, like he can't believe she exists.

"Hey," Travis Stoll knocks Luke with this elbow. "See those two? Totally into each other, but too dumb to notice the other. Stupid, huh?"

"I don't trust him," Luke replies. How ironic, he thinks, that he doesn't trust someone.

"Ah, don't be like that," Travis says. "He's not going to rip your little sister's heart in two."

Luke nods. He can't tell anyone his real fear. He'd be killed for it.

So instead, he says, "you're right, Travis. I guess I just got protective for a minute."

;;;

That's why Luke doesn't even try to talk to Annabeth. He just tries to kill Percy—partly because he's the Chosen One, and partly because of personal grudge—but it doesn't work.

And then, Luke sees Annabeth the next year.

She's right next to him, and they look deadly together. Percy trusts her with his life, and vice versa. Luke notices how Percy Jackson is very trustworthy, and brave, and balances Annabeth out.

He hates it.

His heart burns with jealousy as he realizes that he's creating memories for them, and that they only end up spending more time together.

Annabeth isn't like a sister to Luke anymore. She's more of a long lost friend.

He doesn't feel the desire to protect her anymore. He knows he doesn't have to. She's very capable of doing it on her own.

So, he kidnaps her.

Kronos likes the idea because it'll lure Percy in, and Luke suggests it because he thinks, in a twisted way, maybe this'll be good for them.

Maybe after spending time together, Annabeth will warm up to Luke again. Maybe, just maybe, she won't see him as an enemy.

But she keeps murmuring Percy's name over and over and over as she holds the weight of the sky, and it's like a death chant to Luke's ears.

Why is she in love with Percy? He's immature and new to this world and doesn't have the connection Luke has with Annabeth.

Why can't Annabeth love Luke instead?

The thought shocks him at first.

And then he realizes—it's no longer about losing his sister. It's not about having a strong soldier like Annabeth on his side of the war.

No, it's about loving Annabeth. It's always been about that.

Luke's heart breaks as he watches Percy take the sky for Annabeth, because he realizes that Percy isn't so little anymore, and neither are his feelings for Annabeth.

Percy's in love with Annabeth.

The next summer, Luke gets reports that Percy gave his life to save Annabeth's, blowing himself up through a volcano.

Some of Luke's personal friends quietly tell him about the kiss the two kids shared. He punches a wall.

And then it turns out Percy isn't even dead. He's alive.

He's alive and with Annabeth, and they're closer than ever.

Luke fights with a new motivation during the war.

His vision is clouded with thoughts of Annabeth as he plunges into battle, and soon, the battle is over.

Percy and Annabeth sit next to him as Luke lies with a wound in his body. He hopes she knows that he did it for her.

But she's made her choice.

Luke asks her one last time, just to make sure.

"Did you love me?"

Annabeth closes her eyes for a few seconds, and when she opens them, she looks back at Percy for a split-second before saying, "you were like a brother to me, Luke. But I didn't love you."

Luke's happy he at least got the truth.

He makes Percy promise him to take care of the demigods—the forgotten—and the son of Poseidon agrees. Of course he does. He's a great guy.

Luke dies, and the last people he sees are Annabeth and Percy.

oh luke. when will he learn?
don't forget to vote!
-isa