Chocolate Kisses

"You're so not going to do it."

I leaned against the locker next to Annabeth's, which belonged to a freshman who watched as my embarrassment played out.

"I am," I protested. I'm ninety-nine percent sure my face was a little red, it usually was around Annabeth, but I seriously meant what I said.

"Percy, what kind of idiot is going to fall for that?" she asked. She laughed at me lightly as she pulled textbooks out of her backpack. I moved out of the way for the freshman to get to his locker.

"It's the holiday season," I countered. "People believe anything. Besides, you have to admit I am pretty hot."

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "You, sir, are very conceited."

Michael Yew, her locker neighbor, piped in, "ah, but you didn't deny that he is, in fact, hot."

I gave him a high-five. Annabeth glared at me.

"Remind me again; why are we best friends?"

She slammed her locker shut and started to storm off to her class, but I jogged to catch up with her.

"You still didn't deny it," I prompted. Annabeth hesitated for a moment before responding.

"No girl is going to believe that you're going to kiss them, only for you to hand them a Hershey's Kiss. No one is that dumb."

The smile on my face was uncontainable. I could practically feel my eyes sparkling.

"What?" she asked harshly. I stepped closer to her and brushed the hair out of her eyes. Annabeth suddenly softened her expression. Her gray eyes seemed as wide as saucers.

"You still didn't deny that I'm hot," I said again, softer than ever. She gulped.

"Maybe it's because it's true."

My eyebrows raised to my hairline. "Really?"

"Really," she replied. "Now, come on, we're going to be late for class."

;;;

All day, I couldn't stop staring at Annabeth.

Sure, I'd had a crush on her for awhile, but we had always been just friends.

But there were certain days that felt like we were more than that. Some days, Annabeth would stare at me during class, and she wouldn't look away when I caught her. She would hold my hand occasionally during lunch, or I would slip my arm around her shoulders as we walked to class.

I liked those days.

And today, thanks to greater forces above, was a more day.

"You're touchy today," she noted at lunch. I noticed how her voice shook a little as she said that, and I smiled. I squeezed her hand.

"I like holding your hand," I told her casually. Annabeth blushed a deep red, and I wanted to kiss her right there. She was just so beautiful, and I wanted to treat her like the absolute angel she was.

"O-Oh."

We stared at each other for a few seconds before Jason, a friend of ours, rolled his eyes and said, "hey, lovefucks. The lunch line is moving, and a boy's gotta eat."

I don't know who was redder; Annabeth or me. Probably me. We walked ahead in the line, but neither of us made a move to stop holding hands.

"So," she said. "Have you, uh, done the thing yet?"

For a second, I had no idea what she was talking about. And then I remembered...the prank!

"No," I admitted. "Haven't found the right victim yet. I'm thinking Drew Tanaka, maybe."