Admitting

Going home after the Olympus party was...awkward. After dancing in front of Annabeth with all the Olympian Gods watching, Apollo didn't stop teasing me all night.

"Yo!" he said, slapping me on the back. "That blonde chick..." He took a sip of his beverage, which,  judging by his state, I assumed was alcohol. "She's hot."

"Her name is Annabeth," I said hotly. "And she's not...she's...she's more than that, alright?" Apollo wiggled his eyes at me.

"Mmmm, you guys got a thing going on, right? Athena hates that. Your dad, though..." He lost his balance, momentarily slipping. "He's cool with it."

"There's no thing with me and Annabeth."

"Annabeth and I, little dude." The son god winked. "If you're gonna want her mom's approval, I'd advise getting some grammar lessons." He stumbled away towards some minor goddess before I could say anything else.

So, yeah, I was quiet on the car ride home. My mom kept talking to me, asking questions about the quest. I was lost in thought.

"Percy, dear? Are you alright?" I snapped out of it.

"Yeah. I'm fine."

"You're awfully quiet."

"Just tired, that's all." She scoffed.

"Yeah, right. Apollo came to talk to me outside the building when I was waiting for you. For a sun god, he's not very...bright. No pun intended. But he mentioned something about you and Annabeth...?" My face turned blood red, and I was thankful that it was dark out so my mom couldn't see.

"Oh, we danced...a song. He freaked out, but only because he was drunk. Seriously, mom, it wasn't-"

"Percy," she interrupted. We pulled into our usual parking spot outside of our apartment building. "I love Annabeth. If you guys are dating, you don't need to hide it-"

"Mom!" I shook my head, but my face only got redder. "We're not together. I just went to save her because she's my friend, and I...I care about her a lot. She's had my back for years." There was a silence before I finally admitted something, more to myself than my mom. I whispered, "I don't know what I would do without her."

She sighed, then turned around in her seat to face me. I looked up with wide eyes, feeling like I was five all over again.

"My little boy..." she said quietly. "What was the quest?"

"To save Artemis."

"And you remember what you told me, right? The night you left?" I nodded slowly.

"I told you I was going to save Annabeth. And I was. You know who asked me that? Aphrodite. She's the goddess of love, mom. The freaking goddess of the thing that pulls us all together. And she met me in the middle of my quest just to say I had to save Annabeth. Don't you think that's a little...?" My mom laughed, and even in the dead of the night, I could tell her eyes were sparkling.

"You're so dense. Just like your father." She tucked a strand of her hair behind her hair. "Just know; I like Annabeth. She's pretty, and smart, and exactly the opposite of you. She's the push you need. That's why you guys make such a great team."

I shrugged. "Yeah, I guess she's cool." My mom rolled her eyes.

"Boys," she grunted. 

Okay, so first off, thanks for reading. But I've been wanting to do a one shot where Sally makes Percy kind of realize his feelings for Annabeth, but I held back a bit because we all know before his orientation she's like teasing him and...jeez you know what I mean. Anyway, yeah, let me know how you felt about it!