Mother Knows Best

When Percy gets home with a slump in his shoulder and a tired look in his green eyes, Sally wants to cry.

Her little boy doesn't deserve the life he has. He shouldn't have to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders at just twelve years old.

"What happened?" she asks, and as she watches Percy adjust his position to become more comfortable, and notices the way he winces a little.

"Poseidon," he deadpans. He nods with respect. "Pretty cool powers."

Sally smiles, and she barely notices Percy's blush as he tells her about the daughter of Athena he befriended. She's just glad that her baby is safe.

~~~

Throughout the years, Percy starts to speak more of Annabeth.

When he's in seventh grade, Sally catches him printing out a picture of her.

"Is she your girlfriend?" she asks. Percy's ears color as he shakes his head.

"Annabeth? N-No."

Sally smirks at him, but she drops the topic.

~~~

She knows that Percy's in love with Annabeth as soon as the girl steps into her car.

Sally's driving them to Westover Hall for some quest, and Percy's eyes start twinkling the moment he lays his eyes on her.

"Hi Ms. Jackson," Annabeth says politely. She smiles at Sally warmly. "Thank you so much for the ride."

"It's no problem, dear," Sally replies. She can't exactly stop smiling as her son looks at Annabeth with complete adoration.

Later, Sally gets a call from Percy. He tells her that Annabeth fell off of a cliff, and that they won't allow him on the quest to go save her.

Sally wonders how he knows that she's alive, but he sounds so sure of it that she automatically believes him.

As his mother, all she wants is for Percy to stay put at camp and train. But when she listens to his desperation, the way his voice shakes at the mention of Annabeth, Sally knows what's best. She tells him to go find her.

(He does.)

~~~

Sally wants the quests to end.

She gets a call from Annabeth saying that Percy's been gone for three days, and she's crying.

"They keep saying to wait," she chokes out. "But...I love him, Sally. He's my best friend. I can't do this without Percy."

Sally recognizes the fact that Annabeth's calls Percy her best friend, but she can hear what the daughter of Athena is actually trying to say.

"He's not dead," Sally says. "I know it. I bet you know it, too."

She's silent for a few seconds.

"You're right," Annabeth says. "Just how he knew about me with Atlas. I can feel it."

Sally isn't surprised when she gets the call from both Percy and Annabeth announcing that he's alive, and she smiles brightly because they're standing so close to each other although it's unnecessary.

~~~

Sally likes Rachel.

She's not Annabeth, though.

Percy never looks at Rachel the way he looks at Annabeth. He watches the red head with a confused and frustrated look, and Sally knows what he's thinking.

He should like her. She's more laid back and easy going, she obviously likes him, and he sees her way more than Annabeth.

But he can't. He's in love with Annabeth Chase.

~~~

Finally, two days after Percy's birthday, he walks into their little apartment, holding Annabeth's hand happily and tells Sally and Paul that they're dating.

Sally jumps to Annabeth, hugging her tightly.

"Oh, finally!" she exclaims. "This boy-"

"Mom!" Percy complains, but he grabs Annabeth's hand as soon as Sally lets her go.

"You knew," Annabeth tells Sally, her gray eyes sparkling.

And, well, Sally can't disagree. She bites her lip but ends up smiling anyway.

What can she say? Mother knows best.

i actually really liked writing this chapter, i hope you guys like it:))

-rey