The Scrimmage

"If you touch me again, seven-"

The girl shoved her shoulder into mine again, a light smirk on her face.

"You know I can't push you back," I said. "Why are you doing this?"

"It's called defense," she replied. "And who says you can't push me back? This is a contact sport."

"You're a girl."

"A girl who is very much capable of beating your ass," she corrected. "Go ahead, twelve, push me."

I glanced at the other side of the soccer field. My friends were playing against some mutual friends, and they brought this girl with them. She'd been pushing me throughout the whole game. I knew it was just to throw me off and pester me, but I couldn't help the anger rising in my body.

"I'm not pushing you."

"Scared?"

"Educated," I corrected. "Unless you start violating me or put me in danger of hospitalization, I'm not going to hurt you."

She stood in silence for a few moments. "Alright," she said. "I'll stop. But only because the ball hasn't been to this side of the field for the entire game."

I laughed. "Your team kinda sucks, huh?"

She shrugged. For the first time, I really examined her face.

Her gray eyes were shocking, like dark storm clouds. Her lips were full and pink, and she kept biting on her bottom lip whenever she spaced out. I thought it was adorable.

"What's your name, seven?" I asked. I thought the number on her jersey suited her, but I found it a bit disrespectful to call someone by a number.

"Annabeth," she said. "You?"

"Percy," I replied. "Perseus is my full name."

"Like the guy who defeated Medusa?"

I nodded. Annabeth frowned. "That's interesting."

;;;

By the second half of the game, Annabeth and I had shared our deepest fears, our favorite colors, and our least favorite shows of all time.

"I just don't think Riverdale is good," I said. "Season one was okay, then it just went downhill."

"I guess you're right," she agreed. "But I don't think it's the worst show ever."

I was about to argue when I noticed the ball making its way towards us. I sprinted towards it to defend my goal, but Annabeth ran towards it too. She got to the ball first, but as she put her foot on it, I kicked it out and to the forwards on my team.

Without the ball, Annabeth started to lose her balance. She fell backwards, and I caught her in my arms before she could hit her head.

She laid in my arms as if I had dipped her in a dance routine, and we stared at each other. The ball was on the other side of the field again, and it felt like we were the only two people in the world.

"Thanks," she said, a little breathless. I set her back on her feet but remained only a step away from her. From this close up, I could see the freckles on her skin.

"This may be a little weird..." I started. "Do you maybe want to, uh, I mean if you're not too busy-"

Annabeth raised an eyebrow. "Are you asking me out?" I nodded shyly. She smiled. "Alright, Percy," she said. "Pick me up at eight."

i saw a tiktok where this girl was like "the ref got me in trouble when i kissed a girl who kept pushing me" and idk why it gave me the idea to write this but IT DID
don't forget to vote:) hehe