A Friendly Sort of Hate

If you were to ask Annabeth Chase why she was so red, she would absolutely tell you it's because Percy Jackson makes her so incredibly angry that her face colors.

If you were to ask her why she rolls her eyes every time she gets a text from him, she would say it was because he was so fucking annoying, but in reality, it was to hide a smile threatening to reach across her lips.

And if you were to ask her why Percy was always at her locker, Annabeth would claim that it was to annoy her and make her mad, but only because she hates the idea of giving herself hope that maybe, just maybe, he likes her.

But she definitely doesn't like him.

Ew.

Gross.

It's Percy Jackson.

~~~

"You're late."

Annabeth doesn't even look at him. She's having a bad day, and she's really not in the mood for this right now.

"And yet, you waited," she sighs as she starts to put her combo into her locker lock.

"Always."

Even though Annabeth can't see Percy, she can hear the smile in his voice.

"Stalker," she scowls as she grabs her social studies binder. He sets a hand on her history notebook and hands it to her.

"Huh, you finally figured it out, Chase."

Annabeth flips him off with a dead look in her eyes, but she would be lying if she said that she didn't have to hide her smile as Percy closed her locker shut and jogged to catch up with her as they walked to class.

~~~

"How's the boyfriend?"

"Jason," Annabeth frowns. "I'm taking a test. Can this wait?"

His smirk implies that no, this can't wait. His blue eyes are shining brightly like stars. Annabeth's mostly upset because she knows he means Percy, but she wishes she could live in a world where she has no idea who he's talking about. 

"He's not my boyfriend," she says finally, careful to not talk too loudly. Their teacher isn't very observant, but if he catches her talking, she'll receive an F on the test.

"He's in love with you, though."

"He is not-"

Jason covers his ears childishly and grins evilly. Annabeth considers if life in prison is worth strangling her best friend.

"Percabeth," he announces. "Yeah, Piper will love that one."

"He doesn't-"

"Percabeth."

Annabeth rolls her eyes, telling herself that she's too tired to argue with him.

A small part of her, though, thinks that the name has a nice ring to it.

~~~

"Hey."

Annabeth's eyes dart up to meet the pair of familiar green ones, but she's still surprised seeing Percy here.

The sun's beating down on his dark hair in such an angle that it almost appears purple, and he's watching her with a careful and soft smile.

"What are you doing here?" she asks. He shrugs.

"My table isn't as fun as over here."

Annabeth scrunches her eyebrows together and looks around, obviously confused. She's sitting on the football bleachers, spending her lunch sketching as usual. While she does have a few close friends, she normally uses her lunchtime to draw, and she doesn't mind the solitude. It's comforting to her.