65. hold on

Following the drama at the Drop Ship, most of us had returned to camp. Meanwhile, Clarke had left with the Grounders, in order to further solidify our truce with them. That being said, most of the camp was still on high alert. Guards were stationed at every possible entrance, and every single person nervously glanced towards the tree line every so often to ensure no Grounders were looming in the shadows.

I was no exception. As I sat with Finn by one of the camp fires, I found myself glancing past the gates every so often. Bellamy, who was patrolling the front gate caught my eyes, giving me a reassuring smile before turning back towards the forest.

"Do you think Clarke's okay?" Finn asked nervously.

Pulling my attention away from Bellamy, I gave my twin a reassuring nod, "I'm sure they just have a lot of stuff to sort out. She'll be back soon." I promised.

Finn let out a sigh as he stared into the embers of the fire, "I shouldn't have done it. What I did-it was horrible, Aves. I'm a horrible person." he whispered, looking over to me with tears in his eyes.

I felt my heart break for him as I took a hold of one of his hands, "You're not a horrible person, Finn, not at all."

He pulled his hand out of mine, shaking his head, "I killed all of those people, I'm a murderer."

I bit the inside of my cheek, trying to find the words to console him. "You did what you thought you had to do. You thought you were protecting Clarke-"

"-And you." he interjected, his brown eyes meeting my matching ones, "I never should have left you alone."

I gave him a warm smile, "You were saving Bellamy's ass." I reminded him.

Finn's eyes flickered over to where Bellamy was, "I was doing that for you too." I felt a blush rise on my cheeks as I looked down to try and hide it from my brother.

"You're the best person I know, Finn," I looked back up at him, "You always have been and you always will be. You're my brother and I'll love you no matter what."

Finn's face softened as he pulled me into his chest, "I love you little sis."

I rolled my eyes as I wrapped my arms around him, "You're two minutes older than me." I pointed out. He had held onto that two minutes our entire lives, always getting what he wanted because he was the "big brother."

"That's two more minutes that I have lived, that you haven't. A lot can happen in two minutes." He teased as we pulled apart.

I shook my head with a laugh, "Alright wise one."

He joined me in laughter, something I hadn't heard from him in what felt like whatever. As I watched his eyes light up with happiness, I felt a pang in my heart. Finn would always be my brother, the selfless boy I grew up with, but I knew that that day at the village had changed him, and it was a change that would stay with him forever.

"She's back! Open the gates."

I was snapped out of my thoughts at the sound of Bellamy yelling. Within seconds Finn was up and rushing towards the gates. I jumped up after him, jogging towards the entrance of camp where Clarke was making her way through the gates.

There were a few Grounders on horses that had accompanied her on her trek back, making me slightly uneasy. What made me more uneasy, however, was the fact that the minute my brother approached Clarke, she demanded for the gates to be closed, fear in her voice.

I had stopped beside Bellamy, watching as Clarke grabbed Finn and turned him away from where the Grounders were. "You can't be out here." she muttered, pulling him further into camp.

I shared a nervous look with Bellamy, before both of us turned and began following after them. Bellamy kept his hand on the small of my back as we maneuvered our way through camp, trying to catch up to Clarke and Finn.

When we did, Clarke was embracing her mother. The news that Clarke had returned spread quickly, several people now gathering around us.

"What did she say?" Abby asked as her and Clarke pulled apart. "Is there a chance for a truce?"

Everyone waited in anticipation for Clarke's answer. However, when she delivered it, it was clear that something was off.

"Yes." She whispered, her eyes still full of something I couldn't quite decipher.

Finn noticed the same thing I did, being the first to question Clarke on it, "What's wrong."

I watched as she turned to my brother, and muttered a sentence that made me feel like I was going to be sick. "They want you." Everyone fell silent as several uneasy glances were sent around the camp. "If we want a truce, we have to give them Finn."

I wasted no time in protesting her words, "No." I exclaimed, shaking my head as I moved closer to my brother, "No way."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Raven questioned Clarke.

The blonde haired girl wouldn't look my brother in the eyes, desperately avoiding his glances, "That's their offer." she explained.

Raven shook her head, "That's not an offer."

Finn spoke for the first time since the news had been dropped, "It's a punishment...for what happened at the village. Blood for blood."

I grabbed onto Finn's arm, desperate to keep him close to me, "A punishment that we're not going through with." I announced, looking to Clarke for support, "There's no way we're even considering it, right?"

Bellamy agreed with me, "That's insane."

Mutters were beginning to fly around camp as Abby spoke, "If we refuse..."

"They attack." Clarke confirmed.

My eyes moved around the camp nervously, taking note of the people who were beginning to get agitated. "There has to be another way." I choked, tightening my grip on Finn.

The tensions in camp started to boil over as someone yelled from deep within, "I say we give him up!" This sent several other people into attack mode as they all began inching forward, "Get rid of him!"

Major Byrne tried to control the crowd, but to no avail. I moved to position myself in front of Finn as a large man that was standing close to us stepped forward "Give him to the Grounders." he growled.

Raven pushed herself forward, aggressively shoving the man back, "Back off!" she snapped. The man tried to jump at her, but Bellamy was there to get in the way.

I held my arms out down and behind me as if to lock Finn in, and block anyone who tried to grab him. Clarke grabbed a hold of Raven and tried to calm her down, promising her that nothing would happen to Finn.

Another man stepped forward, "I'm not dying for him! Spacewalker burned three months worth of oxygen from the Ark. He should have floated a long time ago!"

"Get away from him!" I snapped, clenching my jaw as the man got closer.

"Throw him out!" he yelled, as he tried to shove me aside. Finn caught me, pulling him back to him as Raven swung at the man, "Back off!" she screamed, as he stumbled backwards, cupping his cheek.

Guards pounced on her, trying to pull her off of the man. When Major Byrne grabbed a hold of her, Raven turned around and sent her first into Byrne's face.

I winced as Raven was grabbed by two guards, and pulled off of the man. She was still struggling against them as she was pulled towards the Ark.

My worried eyes met Bellamy's as people began yelling about giving Finn to the Grounders. I knew it wasn't going to be an easy task, but I was hell bent on keeping my brother with me, whatever the cost.