3. Weird family

Akshita

It was Saturday and I had a day off from college. Even if it was not a day off, I would have taken one because today, one more family was coming to see me for marriage. I was completely prepared to face another rejection. It was just like any other day for me, another day of my father's wrath and meeting a socially sick family who would judge me and comment openly on my flaws. I didn't want to meet anyone and I wouldn't if I had a choice.

It was the third time this week that I was getting ready for a potential groom. I had a routine set for such days, waking up early, applying a face pack then wearing a dress of my mother's choice and lastly, applying layers and layers of makeup.

Just like every time, this time too, my dress was over the top for the occasion. No doubt the dress was beautiful but it was too much for the occasion. It was a pink georgette and net, floor-length Anarkali suit which was covered in golden embroidery on the upper portion and sparkles on the lower portion of the skirt. I know, too much!

On top of that, my mother curled my hair and made me wear so many accessories

On top of that, my mother curled my hair and made me wear so many accessories. She applied layers of makeup on my face and I started to feel itchy on my face. I used to love makeup in the beginning but now I hate it. My mother makes me look ugly first and when the families reject me, both my parents yell at me for being ugly. I won't say I am really beautiful but I am not as bad as I look after makeup.

"Mom, it's itching. Please let me wash it. I think the face pack you applied earlier had something allergic. Ow!" I rubbed harshly at my skin.

"Stop scratching your face, makeup is good for the skin, it makes your skin look good and the face pack was made of natural herbs. There is no chance for you to catch anything from it." She said smugly, feeling proud of her beauty-knowledge.

"But it is biting my skin. What if I get an allergic reaction on my face before the family arrives?" My sentence finally caught my mother's reaction.

"Yes, you are right. Wash it off. Let me check your face first." I sighed inwardly and quickly wiped the makeup off. After washing my face, I finally felt the burning stop, my face was a little bit red but nothing I could not handle. I went outside and my mother crinkled her nose at me in disgust. Her reaction broke my heart.

"Without makeup, your face looks lifeless and blotchy. Let me apply ice on it and then I am reapplying makeup. No further arguments." I nodded frantically at her harsh words. She applied ice on my face and after my father asked me to hurry up, she did my make-up again. It started to get itchy again but I knew if I opened my mouth this time, my father would be furious so I kept quiet.

"The family is here. Basic things you need to know - the guy owns a chain of restaurants and has one sister who is studying. Family of four. Okay? Don't mess up this time." My mother briefed me and without even telling me the name of the guy, left. I was called to the hall after some time. I went outside and moved forward to touch the feet of the parents of the prospective groom.