39. I couldn't stay away

Ashish

She was feeling uneasy and kept stirring in her sleep. I woke up hearing her painful groans.

"Akshita?" I called her name softly.

"Hmm." She mumbled in a slow voice.

"Are you crying?" I asked trying to turn her towards me but she was not letting me.

"No." She said sniffling.

"Then look at me," I asked and she shook her head. I switched on the lights and stood up from the bed. She hid her face in the pillow, to not let me look at her. I pulled the pillow away from her face and sure enough, she was crying. Her eyes were puffy and her nose was red from crying so much.

"Kya hua hai, bacha? (What happened, baby?)" She cried while hiding her face in my arms.

"Is it hurting a lot?" I asked running my fingers in her hair. She bobbed her head.

"I took the medicine too but it is still feeling stingy." She said sniffling.

"I told you to wake me up if you feel any pain." I reprimanded her a little.

"You were so tired today. I didn't want to disturb your sleep." She replied sniffling. I sighed.

"Ok, fine. It's not useful to argue with you anyway. Come, show me the medicine you took." I said rolling my eyes at her.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. It's like you are really annoyed at me." She said pouting.

"Even in pain, you never forget to argue, Mrs Bansal. Bravo!" I said sarcastically.

"Ashish!" She said gritting her teeth.

"Okay, okay, sorry. Show me your prescription, please." I said calmly. She showed me her medicines and I read her prescription properly.

"It's written here that you have to take these two medicines at night but you only took this one," I explained to her.

"Oh, I didn't know," She said sheepishly. I gave her the tablet and she consumed it hastily. Looks like someone feels guilty.

"I will monitor your medicine from tomorrow onwards because you are a hopeless case," I muttered, flicking her forehead lightly.

"Alright." She mumbled yawning.

"Come, now lie down." I switched off the lights and held her in my arms. I ran my fingers in her hair until she was fast asleep. Making sure, she wasn't uncomfortable again, I also slept.

The next day, I woke up early to prepare ahead for her. I did my morning routine, then prepared Akshita's clothes for the day and packed her bag as well. She was still asleep and I knew she needed rest but she would fight with me if I won't let her go to college. Technically, she should just rest for at least a week but she is very stubborn and wouldn't listen to anything I say. Maybe after going to college today, she would learn her lesson and rest.

Since Mamma is coming back in the evening, I decided to prepare breakfast. Papa and Khushi were already in the kitchen, preparing breakfast.

"Good morning, guys."

"Good morning. How's Akshita?"

"She is still asleep so don't know yet. But last night, madam took only one medicine so she woke up in pain. After taking her other medicine, she finally slept peacefully through the night."

"Oho, bhai you are so fussy. Relax. You will get wrinkles early." Khushi said rolling her eyes at me.

"See, look at your daughter, Papa. She never takes me seriously. Akshita is a hopeless case just like this nutjob daughter of yours," I said messing Khushi's hair.