17. Realisation

Akshita

It was so awkward sitting in the car silently with my cousin for the whole journey to my parents' place. I have never shared a good relationship with any of my cousins but since I was having too much fun with my new family for the past few days, it felt boring and annoying to sit silently in the car.

After we reached my parent's place, I sighed in relief but my relief was short-lived when I saw all my uncles, aunts, their kids, their sons and daughters-in-law still present there.

God! Why didn't I think it before, they all wanted some gossip about my in-laws? I huffed silently and touched the feet of all the elders as a sign of respect after which I had to sit with them which was awkward as well.

"Your saree is pretty, Akshita. Who gave it to you?" Reva di asked with a hint of jealousy in her voice. It is Ashish's choice, I smiled to myself.

"Umm, it is their family ritual to gift clothes and accessories to the daughter-in-law so my in-laws gifted it to me," I said the same thing Ashish told me on my first day. I didn't want to tell them that my husband gave it to me because they won't understand the love and respect we share. Then someone or the other kept asking me random things about my new family. They didn't use to even feel bothered to talk to me before and now suddenly, they were showing interest to have a conversation with me.

After some time, I started to feel tired and hungry but so far no one has offered even a glass of water to me.

"Uh, I am hungry. Can I get something to eat?" I asked suddenly and my mother looked at me shocked.

"You know the way to the kitchen." She snapped at me.

"Yes, right," I said and hurriedly went to the kitchen to avoid talking to everyone. My phone rang in my clutch which was placed in the hall so obviously, it was seen by everyone. I cursed at myself for leaving my clutch in the hall. I went outside again and under the scrutinising gaze of every single person present there, I picked my clutch but saw my phone in my cousin's hand.

"So you have a new phone, is it a gift too?" She asked sarcastically.

"Yes, it was a gift too," I said meekly trying to avoid looking into anyone's eyes. The phone stopped ringing but after a second, it rang again.

"Here." She scoffed and handed me my phone back. I smiled seeing Ashish's call and went back to the kitchen.

"Hello."

"What took you so long to pick? Is everything alright?" I smiled at his concern for me.

"Yeah, everything is fine. I was in the kitchen and I left my phone outside."

"You haven't even been there for an hour and you are already in the kitchen." He said angrily.

"I was hungry, that's why," I said timidly.

"So? No one could give you anything to eat? I knew it was a bad idea to send you there alone." He was getting so worked up over it.

"Please don't be angry, Ashish. It's just two days." I said sweetly.

"I am sorry. I just can't help it. Don't mind me but I hate that family." He said angrily.

"Ashish...please." He sighed in response.

"I miss you, Akshita." He said softly. I was in the seventh sky hearing his words.

"Already?" I said trying to tease him but it was a failed attempt obviously.