37. His arms

Akshita

It was the first day of my job, the day I had been waiting for ages and yet here I was feeling like a nervous wreck. After Ashish woke me up, I started to feel scared and worried. I was scared to meet new people and it was going to be a completely new and different place for me. The thought in itself was scary.

"Akshita, are you ready?" Ashish knocked on the dressing room where I was sitting in his bathrobe, feeling panicked. I had not even worn my clothes yet.

"No," I mumbled, still sitting like a statue. Ashish came inside and saw me sitting at the table.

"What happened?" He asked and I wrapped my arms around his torso.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He caressed my hair.

"I am anxious to go," I told him the truth.

"Why? You told me you are excited. What happened, baby?"

"I just realised that it would be a completely new place and I will have to meet new people. I am not ready for it, Ashish."

"But any day you go, it will be a new place. If you choose to not go today, then the other day you go, you will still have to meet these people. If you keep being afraid then your dream will be left unfulfilled. If you want to teach, you will have to face your fear." He explained to me sweetly and calmly, not getting annoyed at me for being such a coward.

"Yeah, you are right." I rose from my place and took a deep breath.

"I will go today and face it." He smiled and ruffled my hair.

"That's the spirit." He muttered and hugged me.

"Go." I pushed him a little.

"Where?" He asked chuckling.

"Outside," I muttered.

"Why?" He asked drawling on the word. His eyes were dancing with mischief.

"I gotta change," I mumbled shyly.

"Then? Change in front of me." He said teasing me.

"Please," I said blushing.

"Ok. Wear your clothes and come out for breakfast. Everyone's waiting for you." He said laughing and went outside after pecking my lips.

I got ready hastily and went outside. Ashish and mamma-papa were sitting at the dining table, waiting for me.

"Sorry, I got late," I said, sitting on the other side of Ashish.

"It's ok. Come on, eat faster now or you will get late for college." Mamma said and served my plate. Ashish's phone rang and he excused himself.

"All prepared, Akshu?" Papa asked.

"Yes but I am a little nervous, Papa." Before Papa could say anything, Ashish came back with a sad face.

"What happened?" I asked him.

"I have an important meeting in half an hour so I can't come to drop you." He said and my face fell. My heart constricted and my nervousness got back.

"Than I will have to go alone?" I muttered sadly.

"Why alone? I will come with you." Papa said and my mood lifted immediately.

"Really, Papa?" I asked him hopefully.

"Of course. I will come with you. We wouldn't let you go alone on your very first day."

"Oh, Papa! Thank you so much." I said excitedly and stood up to hug him. He laughed and patted my back. I looked at Ashish and saw him smiling. He knew it would mean the world to me if Papa dropped me on my first day, it doesn't mean I didn't want him to go with me. But I have never had parental guidance and love in life. My father never accompanied me to any of my major achievements or important functions, so it meant the world to me if Papa went to drop me at college on my first day.