7. Another good day

Akshita

When he asked me if he could hug me, I couldn't believe my ears. I felt shy for a moment but when he wrapped his arms around me, I was in a whole new world. I never knew that a simple hug could make such a big difference. Ashish gave me the warmth, the affection and the feeling of belonging to someone. I think that feeling is beyond everything for me. I didn't want him to leave, it felt that good. After he left, I went back to the house and waited for his message again. Even after coming back to my room, I could still feel the warmth I felt in his arms.

After Ashish sent me a message on my number after reaching home, I slept with a peaceful smile on my lips.

_______

The next day, our relatives were going to come. I was frustrated even thinking about it because I am not close to anyone in both my mother and father's side of the family. They all have mocked me all my life and so I have no hopes left for them. My mother has two sisters and my father only has brothers, three to be exact. My father's brothers are all alike - domineering and demanding.

On the other hand, everyone in my mother's family is very prim and proper and they expect the same from everyone too. However, it irritates me the most because they would start lecturing me if I don't apply makeup or don't wear "appropriate" clothes. And then there are my cousins, all my male cousins are full of themselves and my female cousins are just too perfect. I have two older female cousins on my mother's side, who are already married and are the definition of "prim and proper" ladies, what my mother wants me to be. I could never match the standards of my mother's family. I have one younger female cousin too but she is studying in school so there is still time for her before she also starts behaving like her elder sister.

When everyone arrived, they started doing the things they did every time, first and foremost being, judging me, my attire, my figure, my posture, everything. They had a bad opinion on everything I did. I was the sole subject for everyone. My cousins took me to my room and started talking about their families and my marriage.

"Akshita, I have heard your to-be-husband is a restaurateur and is very rich. Are you going to compliment him by looking like this?" My cousin said taunting my simple appearance. I looked down at my dress. It was okay, I guess.

"I don't even wear such clothes at night. Is this how you usually dress up?" The other one said laughing.

"No, I thought I am going to stay home so I wore it," I said making an excuse.

"Even if you are at home, you should look presentable. When you will get married, if you wear this kind of clothes, your husband is going to lose his interest in you."

"Ashish is not like that." I immediately defended.

"Ashish... So now you are going to take his name too. Don't you know that a girl should not take her husband's name?" My cousin, Reva gasped out in horror.

"I... He said..." I didn't want them to know that Ashish asked me to call him by his name only. He considered us to be equals but my cousins would never understand that philosophy because, since childhood, they have been drilled with the false notion of male dominance.

"I won't take his name again." I lied to them and it made them smile. I have seen how my cousins and their husbands interacted. They never played the equals, they were always a male and a female fulfilling the responsibility of marriage. I never wanted that sort of relationship and somewhere I feel, I will never have to bear the inequality again in my life after marrying Ashish.

"So, has masi (aunt) finished the shopping for your wedding?" Reva di (sister) asked.

"Yes, mother has finished the shopping. A few things are left which I am sure she will finish in no time. And now you guys are obviously here to help her."