44. Let's just never fight, okay?

Akshita

Khushi's marriage was like a rollercoaster ride. Every single event was planned meticulously because we wanted everything to be perfect for her. Even though she didn't want such a lavish wedding but we, as a family, wanted to provide the best for her. What made me the happiest was that I contributed financially too. Mamma-papa didn't want me to use my savings because they have more than enough money but I wanted to contribute to it so Ashish convinced them. I had to convince Ashish first which took a whole day of persuading and so many kisses. In the end, they let me add only a meagre sum of money, still, I was happy. 

There were a few setbacks in the marriage but overall, everything went smoothly. I enjoyed a lot more rituals I couldn't at my wedding. Mamma let me be in charge of everything so I planned all the functions with Ashish. For me, the most beautiful thing about a wedding is the new relations that come with it. Aditya and his family were such honest and amazing people, it made the whole wedding a lot more beautiful. Most importantly, they treated Khushi well, they understood and respected her dreams and treated her like a daughter, which was all that mattered in the end.

We had just returned from Khushi's reception. Everyone was tired and a few of our relatives were still there. I was coming from my room after changing my clothes and I stopped in my tracks when I heard one of papa's aunt taking a jibe at me again. I don't know why but this particular aunt has never liked me for whatever reasons. Since the beginning, she has always pointed out my mistakes, she has never accepted me truly. And even though she is an elder, she has lost my respect a long time ago.

"When are Ashish and Akshita having kids? It's been more than a year now. Is she even fertile?"

Honestly, even I was ready to have kids now. Ashish and I only discussed it in the initial days of our marriage. I didn't know whether he wanted to have kids now or not. I was afraid of starting the topic and partially because Khushi's marriage was going on so I didn't initiate this talk at all.

Part of the reason, I was also craving to be a mother now was because Samriti just gave birth to twins. When we went to see them, I was feeling an ache in my heart. I felt like my life was incomplete. I tried to talk to Ashish so hard that day but nothing would come out of my mouth. Even though our relationship is transparent, we always share everything, he is always the first one to know about my feelings but I couldn't just ask him this.

And today, hearing aunt's negative remark made my heart ache.

"There is nothing like that. Ashish has already told us that he wants to wait till Khushi's marriage and we respect that. My Akshita is not infertile." Mamma said to the aunt politely but I could hear a tinge of annoyance in her voice. Her words made me smile. Maa would always be there for me, supporting me at every step and protecting me from everyone.

"This family planning thing is rubbish. When I was Akshita's age, my sons were already going to school." Aunt ridiculed me. I felt humiliated at her statement.

"It's their life, they have to live together. It's not 'our' right to meddle in their affairs." Mamma indirectly told her to stop meddling in our business but aunt still didn't get the memo. She kept droning about the importance of having kids early. I could see even mamma was starting to look upset. Frustrated, I walked into the living room and flashed her a smile. She stopped talking but turned her head away to talk to somebody else.

Mamma looked at me and I shook my head at her smiling. She smiled in relief and everyone continued talking.

In the evening, when I went back to my room, I was cranky and mad. I wanted to shout at someone, I was feeling so moody. So I fought with Ashish over an extremely silly reason.