47. Welcoming a new member

Ashish

It was a hectic day, there was so much work at the restaurant, a large crowd and too many reports to handle. Dad and I were juggling the work between both of us so that we could finish it soon and go home. It was Akshita's last month of pregnancy and even though her due date is a week away, I didn't want to leave her alone even for a minute so I was a little desperate to be with her.

I was in a meeting when my assistant ran inside the room with a phone.

"Sir." He panted trying to catch his breath.

"What?" I asked annoyed at the sudden disturbance.

"Sir, your mother called. Mrs Akshita is in labour and is sent to the hospital." He said it in one go. My expressions changed from annoyed to horrified in a minute.

"Oh, shit! When did that happen? Where is my phone? Where the hell are the keys?" I was flustered as I fumbled around to find my mobile and car keys.

"Sir, your phone and the keys, they were in the office." An employee handed my mobile over to me while I wore my jacket in a jiffy. Dad followed behind me and we drove towards the hospital. While in the car, I called Aditya and rambled about Akshita being in labour, asking him to come soon with Khushi and hung up on him while dad called mom.

"Hello." Dad put the phone on speaker.

"Where is Ashish?" Mamma's voice came across loud and I flinched a little taken by surprise.

"Mom, I am driving to the hospital," I replied hastily.

"I have been calling you for an hour now. Ashish, I am telling you if you are not here in a few minutes, you can forget about holding your baby." She hung up the call after yelling some profanities.

I drove like a maniac, we covered the half an hour distance to the hospital in just fifteen minutes.

"Ashish."

"Yes, dad."

"Breathe."

"Breathing, yes, okay. Dad, please park the car." I ran inside the hospital after leaving the car to dad.

"Hi, which room is Akshita Bansal? She was brought in here after she went into labour." I asked hurriedly and the nurse pointed me in the direction.

"Mum!" I called her when I spotted her pacing outside a hospital room.

"Oh, Ashish, you are finally here. Go inside, she has been asking for you." She sighed sending me inside the room.

I went into the room and Akshita was laying on her bed trying very hard to control her tears while the doctor and nurses were checking on her vitals.

"Akshita," I mumbled and held onto her hand. She busted into sobs when she saw me.

"Ashish!" She sobbed harder.

"I am here, sweetheart. It's going to be okay." I kissed her forehead.

"It's gonna take some time. We would suggest you do some activity. The nurse will guide you through it." The doctor instructed before leaving the room. The nurse walked us through the exercises Akshita was supposed to do. I helped Akshita up the bed and she did the exercises. They gave her a lot of fluids and kept checking on her for hours. Khushi and Aditya also arrived with the family but Akshita was still not fully dilated yet.

"Ashish, everything is going to be fine, right?" Akshita wrapped her hand around mine and then kissed it softly. Tears were flowing out of her eyes but she was still being so strong. My eyes got wet looking at her.