12. Forever yours

Akshita

For the first time in my life, I knew how it feels when someone takes care of you. I didn't mind that I was being treated like a child, all I cared about was that it was the best feeling in the world. Even though my body was in all sorts of agony because of my poorly condition, I was feeling warmth in my heart.

Ashish and his family were very attentive towards me, taking care of me, checking if I was okay from time to time while nobody in my own family bothered to even ask. After we had dinner, everyone was conversing with each other.

"Feeling any better?" Ashish asked me.

"I think so," I replied softly. My throat was still sore and my fever was still there but after taking the medicine and the homemade remedy, I felt some energy in my body which would help me last for the night.

"It will be okay. Just a few hours." His voice was filled with a promise which made me believe in it. We both were lost in our world while everyone besides us was busy talking and laughing among themselves.

We were called after some time for the pheras. In most Hindu marriages, the setup (mandap) for pheras is usually done later in the night when there are stars in the sky. When I looked at the whole mandap setup, I was amazed. The whole area was decorated with red and yellow flowers and some seats for the family were organised around it. Two cushioned seats were placed in front of the holy fire deity for Ashish and I where our marriage was going to happen.

 Two cushioned seats were placed in front of the holy fire deity for Ashish and I where our marriage was going to happen

Ashish looked at me and gave me a charming smile of his. Ashish's mother left just before the pheras because, in the hindu religion, it is a superstition that the groom's mother should not be present during pheras. I never understood the logic but people still follow it to not bring bad luck to the couple.

The priest called Ashish first because a groom has to perform some prayers alone. I sat at the nearest sofas for some time with Ashish's cousins. They were all cheering me up, making me laugh so that I don't feel low.

"Bhabhi, do you need anything? Water or juice, maybe, before the wedding starts." Shubh asked thoughtfully. I shook my head with a little smile.

I also joined Ashish at the mandap after his solo prayers were done. He held my hand as I sat down on my seat. The priest started reciting the enchantments and we performed the prayer as we were being told.

 The priest started reciting the enchantments and we performed the prayer as we were being told