Chapter One

{4 years after day zero}

As the fog began to clear, Jungkook's eyes widened to the spectacular view that stood before him. 

Skyscrapers standing over hundreds of feet were covered in plant life. Some were crumbling away due to age and neglect, while others had completely toppled over one another, gaping holes where windows were once covered in glass. Once particular skyscraper caught Jungkook's upmost attention though due to the wondrous waterfall that cascaded from the smashed windows. 

At this moment Jungkook really understood how long it had been since the outbreak. 'Day zero' they liked to call it. It had been a total of four years yet mother nature was already taking back what rightfully belonged to her. It was a beautifully horrifying sight to see how quickly humanity's existence could be swallowed. 

Jungkook clutched his handgun tightly in his grasp as he began walking further into the abandoned city of Seoul. His squad was spread out among the city searching for supplies for their base camp, camp Delta. Jungkook may have been the youngest, but he was the most skilled. Deadly almost. His skills easily earned him the title of 'squadron leader' for his camp. 

Jungkook's gaze travelled to the side to the clear crystal waters that lay idol in the city. Pushing random locks of brown hair out of his face he analysed what he saw. In the distance, lying close to the foot of a skyscraper was a mass of rusted cars. The bodies that lay idol inside weren't his problem. 

Looking a little closer to the bridge a head of him he saw the obvious remains of six train carriages, windows blown out as weeds grew around the rusted metal. 

"This could be a problem." Jungkook sighed to himself. The train lay across the bridge that led into the centre of the city. The place where the most valuable supplies would be. He would have to pass through the train to make it across. 

Taking a deep breath, Jungkook walked his way cautiously over to the train, slipping his flashlight out of his pocket to illuminate the inside of the carriage. Peering his head inside, the train was damp, an easy place to harvest plant life. 

The smell of rotting flesh was amplified by the small confinement of the carriage, there was runners in here for sure. 

That's what humanity decided to call them. 

Walkers and runners. 

Walkers were the zombies who were newly infected. They were confused corpses who generally staggered slowly after there victims. Runners on the other had were a little more difficult. They were bodies who had harboured the virus for much longer. The virus had complete control over the hosts body and there senses were high. They could run the speed of an average human and could sense people's presence as if it were second nature. 

Jungkook cursed to himself as soon as he heard the familiar low moan of a zombie in the carriage in front of him. He hated direct confrontation with runners, but he had to make it to the other side of the train. 

Placing a steady hand on the rusted door knob, Jungkook took a second to calm his breathing. The only sound to calm him being the slow dripping of water from inside the carriage. 

"3"

Jungkook grabbed his gun

"2"

He began twisting the handle 

"1"

Jungkook shoved open the rusted door with full strength to face the single runner. The zombie let out a high pitched shriek as it lost no time in running full speed towards Jungkook. But the brunette wasn't phased. In one swift motion, Jungkook raised his gun, firing a single bullet directly at the head of the runner who was mere centimetres away.