Chapter Twenty

{stages of infection}

Taehyung had to do it. 

He had to run. 

By leaving it any longer he was just putting Jungkook at more of a risk. The horde was beginning to further close in, a mixture of groans, moans and terrifying clicking noises piercing through the rain as the gathering of infected closed in on the forrest's terrain. Hopefully Hoseok and Yoongi could figure out how to kill a clicker, there was no way Taehyung could get the message across without shouting it out. 

Without wasting a further second of time, Taehyung pushed off his feet, sprinting towards the wooden fence a mere couple of metres away. Bending his knees and jumping off his feet, Taehyung managed to grab ahold of the first slab of wood, a creak being heard from the pressure. 

And that's when all hell broke loose. 

Jungkook let out a lace of curses as the clickers let out a piercing screech and began to frantically charge in the direction of Taehyung, letting out a croaky screech as they bolted towards him. Jungkook almost froze up at how fast they were moving, faster then maybe even a runner. 

He had no time to panic, only enough time to aim and shoot. 

As the clickers began to close in on Taehyung, Jungkook picked up a stone, throwing it heavily into a nearby tree, away from the fence and his only means of escape. The clickers halted in position and he could hear the bones in their stiffened necks creak as they turned their monstrous heads. Then with a deafening croaking screech they lurched in the other direction. 

Jungkook had no more time to waste. As soon as Taehyung was securely over the fence, Jungkook dived for the camp, bolting through the night, drinking the cool night air as if each gulp could be his last. Then from behind came a moan, and another to the right. The horde was closing in. 

"SHIT!" Jungkook called. He was at the foot of the fence, but if he were to climb it now, he would surely be dragged back into the madness. The skeletal creatures were shuffling towards him at an alarming rate. As they inched closer Jungkook could see their dislocated jaws, torn tongues and blood stained savage teeth on display as they drooled over their meal. 

Jungkook took a step backwards, letting out a gasp as his back hit the hard wood of the fence. The wood began to creak in the strong wind passing through the forest, and before Jungkook could even collect his thoughts, the clickers had swung back in his direction. 

Slipping his two hand guns from his pocket Jungkook's breathing hitched in his throat as the horde staggered hungrily towards him all at once. He rose the guns in front of him aiming with as much precision he could in the short amount of time and fired at the crowd. 

Back pressed firmly against the sodden fence Jungkook watched as bodies fell left and right, landing on the muddy rain-washed ground of the forest. His breathing became frigid, neck frozen as he came to the realisation, 

That he wasn't shooting fast enough. 

Yoongi and Hoseok seemed to realise the desperate situation, dashing across the fence so they were standing above Jungkook. Hoseok swung his quill in front of him, slipping out an arrow and loading it in the string. The wind swept through his dripping wet orange hair as he narrowed his eyes at the target. Releasing the tightly pulled string, the arrow sped through the air, sweeping down the fence and straight through a clicker's skull, sending it to the ground. 

Yoongi on the other hand placed a hand against the top of the fence, swinging his legs down until he was perched on a wooden slab halfway between the clutches of the horde and the top of the fence.