Chapter Nineteen

{clickers}

Kissed by the rain, the wet ground was cold underfoot. Stepping further towards the forest and into the shaggy grass Jungkook felt the squelch of the mud beneath him. The water rose and ran around his heavy leather combat boots. The rain began to fall softly as if it knew of the hardships that lay ahead of the four males positioned outside the safety of the fence. Each droplet alighted on his skin with just enough coolness of command his mind to the present. The gruesome task at hand. 

The beads of water ran over his face and joined to wash over him in a delicate cascade of trickles. Jungkook raised his eyes to the silhouettes emerging from the forest. There was more of the horde to come before sunrise, that was for certain. 

According to Hoseok, the next wave of the horde was slowly making its way through the forest, it wouldn't be too long until Yoongi, Jungkook and Taehyung would have to battle alongside Jimin and Hoseok in keeping off the horde of walkers and runners. 

A decision had to be made now. 

Jungkook sucked in a harsh breath, the air was dry and burnt his throat as he came to the realisation, that they had a mere minute or two for everyone to climb safely back over the fence without getting caught up in the second wave. 

Jungkook turned his eyes to Yoongi, "Climb up the fence." he said bluntly, gesturing for the blue haired male to get to it. 

Yoongi's eyes widened, he was about to disagree, but soon realised that he could lend a hand at the top of the fence alongside Hoseok, "Yes sir." Yoongi spoke, reluctantly dashing from Jungkook and Taehyung's side to the large wooden structure in front of him. Slipping his two handguns securely into his belt, Yoongi hoisted himself up the horizontal planks one by one. The rain washed in-between his fingers, threatening for him to slip and fall, but Yoongi kept his firm hold of the wood, eventually reaching the top of the fence. 

Yoongi gave a thumbs up once he had reached the top, quickly taking out his handguns once more and positioning himself beside Hoseok. 

"Jimin!" Yoongi called from the top of the fence, squinting his eyes as he aimed through the rain, pulling back with his trigger finger as he shot another walker, "Hoseok and I have you covered! Get up here now!" Yoongi explained, 

Jimin spun his knife in-between his fingers, swinging his arm across his body as he took out one last zombie in-front of him before pivoting on his feet and dashing towards the safety of the fence. The whooshing of arrows and popping of gunshots assured Jimin that the two males rested on top of the fence had his back, providing him with enough time to climb up the beams of wood. 

Just in time. 

"JUNGKOOK! NEW GUY, LOOK OUT!" Hoseok bellowed, loading an arrow into his bow and quickly pulling the string back to his cheek. Hoseok barely had time to aim, so he went on a whim, releasing the grasp on the back of the arrow and letting it fly straight into the zombie's heart. 

It should have died.

From the ground, Taehyung and Jungkook's eyes widened, a shudder of fear running through their bones as their feet remained glued to the muddy ground. The infected should die as soon as they're hit in the head, or in any vital organs. 

But this one was different. 

"Oh my god." Hoseok mumbled under his breath as he watched the fallen figure, rise from the ground. It's mutated skin and flesh rose, the popping and cracking of bones cutting through the sounds of the soft rain. 

It was nothing any of them had ever seen before. 

It's head was mutated into a different form, sprouts of god knows what sprouting through the head and eye sockets. The blinded corpse didn't emit a low groan, but an awfully petrifying clicking noise, a croak as it ticked it's head left, right and centre looking for a victim. 

Jungkook saw the shock register on Taehyung's face before he could hide it. 

Jungkook let out a gasp of surprise when Taehyung slipped a hand into Jungkook's pocket, pulling out one of his spare handguns. With a look of pure rage and fright, Taehyung aimed the gun at the creature. 

"We're so fucking screwed." Taehyung spoke, but in a soft whisper. Jungkook was about to question Taehyung's need to be quite but soon realised when he turned his head back to the creature. It was blind, relying on sound. 

"What is that thing?" Jungkook said quietly, also lifting his gun. He had never seen anything like it. It wasn't a walker, nor a runner. It was as if the infection had incubated the human's body for a longer amount of time, an extra stage of infection. 

Taehyung paused as he let out a shaky breath, "It's a clicker."

A clicker? Jungkook cocked his head to the side in question 

Taehyung continued to explain, "It's probably the most dangerous stage of infection. The disease has taken over all systems of the body via the brain." Taehyung explained, "The only way to kill one is through a direct headshot."

It wasn't normal for Jungkook, but his hands began to shake, not from the cold but from pure fear. Clickers were dangerous, you couldn't go up against them using close combat, it was basically suicidal. Only perfect shooters or archers could land the shot. 

And as if one was enough, 

More were beginning to follow. 

Jungkook found himself sucking in a breath, leaning over to whisper in Taehyung's ear, "What happens if they hear us." he spoke, holding back a stutter. 

Taehyung simply bit down on his lower lip, "They're fast, you'd have to nail every shot."

Under the shroud of darkness, only two males remained. Taehyung and Jungkook. Jungkook was an exceptional shooter, but he wasn't always one hundred percent on target. They were pretty much screwed, the longer they waited the less of a chance they had of survival. 

"Taehyung." Jungkook spoke sternly, gaining the attention of the male positioned beside him. A soft breeze whistled through the trees calming the two males for a moment, "Go now. Make it over the fence." Jungkook raised his gun once again, "I'll hold them off."

Taehyung flicked his wide eyes open to Jungkook, "Are you crazy?!" he whisper shouted, gesturing towards the horde as they ventured closer towards them, "You'll die!" 

Jungkook could tell Taehyung was being genuine. His eyes were wide, hands shaking as he was hesitating as to whether or not he should run for the fence. They could both technically climb over at the same time, but Jungkook knew that just laying a hand on that wood caused the fence to creek or shift. It was too noisy, someone would have to stay behind to defend the other. 

And by the looks of things, 

That person would be Jungkook. 

------------

{Author Note}

Epic chapter out tomorrow! 

(unedited)