Chapter Thirty-One

/Jungkook listens to a song in this chapter, the song linked above is the one I'm referring to/

{found}

On the other side of the city, beyond the tall concrete structures, the sun was beginning its long descent towards the twilight. The winds were slowly bringing clouds over the sky, cast in pink as night further approached. The squad were back on the road again, traveling through the remains of the city to the place where it all began. 

Jungkook's eyes were cast mindlessly out the window, body jolting with every pothole the van hit in the dried out road. The city stood like skeletons, bare wastelands, empty now that the disease had taken whatever the panic did not. Clogged drains left stagnant pools of water, waterfalls falling from buildings on their leans. Plant life had flourished, breaking through the footpaths and buildings as mother nature was slowly reverting back to its original state. 

Letting out a sigh, Jungkook slipped his hand into the pocket of his jeans, taking out his cassette player and headphones. He remembered the day he had met Hoseok, the day he had to escape camp Delta. The only thing he left his apartment with that morning was his cassette player, a gift from his mother when he had gone through his 'retro' teenage phase. He was glad he kept it, because for him, music was the only thing that kept him sane. Taking his headphones between his fingers, he slipped them on pressing a finger against the player as music flowed through him an old song from one of his favourite artists 'Aurora.'

Absorbing himself in the moment, Jungkook's eyes trailed back outside, body slouching over as he rested himself up against the side door of the van, breath fogging up the glass. Beside him, hands clenched tightly on the steering wheel was Namjoon, driving in place of Hoseok whilst the injured male was recovering. The team had been split up again; Namjoon, Taehyung, Jungkook and Hoseok were travelling in the leading van, the one that hadn't been busted up. Tessa recommended that everyone who had been injured should travel up front with Namjoon for safety purposes whilst everyone else traveled at the rear. 

"Kook." Taehyung piped up from the back of the van. 

Jungkook snapped himself back into reality, taking out a headphone as he turned his head over his shoulder, eyes falling over Taehyung. He was surprised by Taehyung's sudden change in personality. Ever since the accident, Taehyung was seemingly more relaxed around Jungkook, you could even say he was more accepting of the younger male. Jungkook didn't question why.

"Yeah?" Jungkook spoke, taking the second headphone from his ear. 

Taehyung rose a hand, gesturing towards Jungkook's torso, "Mind if I check your injuries?" he asked, "I'm finished checking up on Hoseok, I patched myself up too." he explained, pointing towards his shoulder. Taehyung's lab coat was draped over a nearby box leaving Taehyung in a short sleeved black shirt, white bandages semi exposed from under the material. Jungkook found himself pausing for a short moment before giving a nod of his head, unbuckling his seatbelt and making his way into the back of the van, taking a seat beside Taehyung. 

There was a moment of awkward silence, the males exchanging short eye contact before Taehyung cleared his throat, pointing towards Jungkook's torso, "Um..." Taehyung choked on his words, "Do you mind if I-"

"Oh!" Jungkook sounded, sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck, "Yeah, sorry."

Extending a hand, Taehyung's fingers intertwined themselves around the hem of Jungkook's white cotton shirt, slowly raising the material to further examine Jungkook's stomach. Eyes widening Taehyung found himself letting out a short and sharp gasp, and it wasn't at the male's defined muscles.