Chapter Forty-Two

{the cost of a mistake}

Taehyung quickly made his way inside the entrance of the lab, hand still wrapped around Daisy's smaller one as he dragged her along, Jin following closely behind as the three of them successfully made it inside the government facility. 

Even though they were safely inside the thick concrete walls of the science lab, the thunderous booming of gunshots from outside could still be heard. The squad was doing their part by facing the enemy head on, so it was up to the three of them to contribute in their own way, by finding the files. 

Stepping up from behind the group, Jin gestured for Taehyung and Daisy to follow him, "I worked here for a few months before the outbreak." he explained as he pointed down a plain white corridor, "Taehyung, your father's office was down this way." 

Gulping, Taehyung acknowledged the older, "Yeah... I've only been in here once, but I remember it was down there." he spoke, gaze falling over the long and narrow hallway in front of them. For safety, Taehyung knew it was best if he were to lead the way. After all, he saw himself as the strongest in close combat. 

Jin entered into the hallway last, leaving Daisy sandwiched safely in-between the two males. As she walked with grace her hair fluttered in the air, clothes clung to her body and arms tightly wrapped around her still shivering form. Wrapped in Hoseok's oversized jumper, she lifted the hood over her head in an attempt to warm up, walking calmly behind Taehyung's taller form and right towards the office they were in search for. 

The group quickly reached another clearing at the end of the hallway. It was quite plain, a single desk standing strong on one side of the room and a lamp on the other. "It's down one of these corridors, I know it." Taehyung spoke up, raising a hand to his head as he pondered. There were now three separate hallways, each leading down to a different block. Stepping forwards, Jin took a moment of thought before he spoke, 

"It's the one on the right." he pointed out, gesturing towards the darker hallway. "Your father's office is down the very end."

Taehyung gave a small nod, "Cool, then lets quickly-" Taehyung paused mid sentence, extending a hand as he halted Daisy and Jin in place. "h-hang on..." he breathed, voice becoming noticeably quite as he froze in place. 

When Taehyung stopped talking Daisy knew there was a problem, especially when the brunette began walking over towards the corridor, checking over his shoulder way too often. 

In the grip of silent panic, Daisy felt sick the moment an all too familiar clicking noise became audible, the dragging of limbs over concrete becoming louder and louder with every second that passed, echoing through the halls. Taehyung turned to the group, he was about to order them back, but it was too late. 

Emerging from the darkness the clicker crept out from the shadows, exposing its rotting corpse as it stumbled into the room. They couldn't run without making a noise, there was no chance of them landing in a hit either. Heart racing and stomach churning Taehyung swept his lab coat off his side patting around his belt for any signs of a weapon. He silently cursed to himself the moment he realised that he'd left everything with the squad outside. 

They were defenceless. 

By this stage the clicker was in the centre of the room, separating the three group members from their protective cluster. Daisy had managed to quietly scurry to the desk, hiding behind the sturdy wood, but Taehyung and Jin were exposed, out in the open as they tried their god darn best to not make a sound every time they shuffled their position. 

They were at a loss. 

Tucking a loose strand of brown hair behind her ear, Daisy peered out quietly over the desk. The sight before her almost turned her to stone. The clicker's head darted around emotionlessly, rotting arms half destroyed but strong non the less. She flinched as she heard the bones crack in its neck and a blood curdling moan escaping its lips. Half dragging it's body, the clicker was staggering ever so slightly away from her, but closer and closer towards the scientist breathing heavily against the wall. 

Taehyung. 

Panic was a four letter word. Yes it was. Every time Daisy was faced with an infected she found herself freezing in a fit of panic, eyes wide as if the problem would somehow solve itself. She felt a discomfort in her chest, setting in deeper with every step the clicker took towards Taehyung's figure. She felt the urge to run, escape, hide. She wanted to jump right out of her skin and flee, she felt like a child again, shaking and terrified. 

Taehyung couldn't breathe, the colour had completely drained from his skin when the clicker was a mere step away. He'd never been so close to an infected, it felt like a dream, a horrible nightmare he couldn't seem to wake up from. Jin wanted to do something, but any wrong move and they could all be killed in a second, his best chance was to run and get help. After all, he was right next to the corridor that lead to the exit... maybe if he ran fast enough he could find someone? But what if the front entrance was now shut? What if the squad had failed outside? Could he outrun a clicker? He didn't know what to do. 

Still peering over the safety of the desk, Daisy watched on in fright as the clicker began to reach out causing Taehyung to almost shrink back into the wall itself. She felt a sting run up her legs, her mind on fire as it yelled at her to

Do something. 

As the clicker's tattered arm grew closer towards Taehyung's form, Daisy's constricted feelings grew all the more. She felt strangled by the air around her. And that's when she knew what she wanted to do. There was no time to be selfish. None of this was being done for the sake of the squad, but more like for the sake of mankind. Taehyung was important, if not the most important person in this entire apocalypse. She couldn't let humanity's hope fall into the hands of the infected. 

Heart beating out of her chest Daisy watched as Taehyung's form was pushed against the white walls of the lab, blank expression and wide eyes as he tried to accept his fate. Daisy couldn't let that happen. 

With a sudden intake of breath Daisy rose to her feet, jamming her heel into the leg of the desk. Her shoulders shook in fear and it wasn't until the clicker snapped it's head in her direction that she had realised what she'd just done. 

With flesh hanging like tattered rags the clicker's bones cracked in her direction. Taehyung stood behind it, pupils dilated as he realised what Daisy was going to do. 

Daisy knew that the she could never measure up to the sheer importance of the two scientists in the room, humanity's last hope. So under her breath, Daisy let out a sad chuckle, tears beginning to pool in her eyes as she softly smiled to herself., "Sorry Hoseok..." Her voice remained as warm as early spring, as if her heart beat so steadily even though she was beyond scared. Her eyes momentarily flickered to Jin. He was shaking his head ever so slowly side to side in objection, her gaze then fell past the clicker and over to Taehyung, and she smiled. Taehyung's stern expression had dissolved into something she never thought she'd ever see. His eyes were glossed over with a glassy layer of tears, teeth biting down on his lower lip as he stared at her in utter disbelief. 

She turned her eyes down to the floor thinking of what a life she had lived, the life she wished to live. 

"... I can't keep our promise." she choked out,  

And the clicker leapt forwards.

--------------------------------

{Author Note}

update tomorrow. 

(unedited)