Chapter: 8

The moment I step into this place, instantly, I regret it. 

Firstly, the stench of sweat almost burned the hair of my nostrils, when I passed a group of men, making me want to gag. And secondly, the look I am receiving from my friend, from the other side, is enough to make me turn on my heels and exit this place.

"What are you doing here?" Kris teasingly arches an eyebrow, when I pull a seat beside her and sit.

"There are some guests in our house," I sigh and keep my head in my hands, "And three of them are kids."

"What, don't like kids?" Jake leans over the table, from Kris's side, to look at me.

"She is scared of kids," Kris says giving me a sympathetic look.

"What!" Jake laughs, "Scared of kids?" 

"Shut up!" Kris slaps his arm and glares at him, "You are scared of spiders, have I ever laughed at you? So keep your mouth shut!"

See? This is why she is my friend. She didn't make fun of me when I told her that kids frighten me. I am not talking about babies or toddlers. they are adorable. But kids from age ten to thirteen, I find them scary.

"Sorry," Jake mumbles and looks down.

"But why are you scared of kids?" Jake asks with genuine curiosity.

"Have you seen Orphan?" I ask while running my finger on the poor attempt of doodling on the table.

"Umm..." he gives me a puzzled look.

"Oh... of course, you have," I roll my eyes, "One is in front of you," I lightly laugh at my joke,  

"That's not funny!" Kris glares at me, "That is simply not funny, Avery!" Jakes nods his head in agreement looking slightly angry as well. It looks like they didn't find the humor in my joke.

"Sorry, guys," I raise my hands in surrender.

The thing is that I have gradually become desensitized to some stuff. I don't when or how it happened, I don't say or do something to gain sympathy, it is just that maybe I have accepted the reality of my life. So, it doesn't hurt me anymore...

Circumstances do make you strong, but sometimes you become insensitive, too.

"Okay, I was talking about the movie Orphan," I look at him and he shakes his head in negative.

"Well, there was an orphan girl, who pretended to be nine years old. But, in reality, she was maybe thirty or something," I slightly cringe recalling the movie.

"So, after watching that movie, now she is afraid of kids," Kris adds, "That maybe they are also full grown-ups and are acting like kids."

"So that means you will never have kids? Because you are scared of them?" Jakes asks after tossing the remaining of his drink.

"No, I want kids and I will love my kids," I laugh, "Because I will definitely know their real ages."

"She is weird, but she is fun to be around," Jake laughs and tells Kris.

Our talk has been cut off when we hear the announcement about the beginning of the next fight in fifteen minutes.

"Let's go and see this match," Jake tells and stands up from his seat.

"No," I shake my head, "Sorry, but some people here, smell worst then dirty toilet bowl," I fake gag.

"Here," Kris take out a bottle of perfume from her bag and generously sprays over me, "Whenever the smell becomes intolerable, glance at your boobies," as she sprays some more on my chest.