Chapter:21

"You better be dying," I mumble sleepily into the speaker piece, answering my phone which was blaring a few moments ago, "Because other than that there is no freaking reason I will forgive you for disturbing my sleep."

A chuckle sound comes through the phone.

"Come outside," Alec says, his voice bringing me back from my sleep.

"It is two in the morning, and there is nothing in the world which is more important to me than my bed at this moment," I snuggle more into my bed, "So, fuck off!"

"Please, come outside, Avery," he says please mockingly.

"I don't entertain booty calls," I sigh loudly, "So either put your hand to use or find some other helping hand."

"Geez, girl, have you ever heard about the filter?" he sounds stunned, "Because you need one."

I nearly drift back into the sleep when I don't hear him speak for a few moments. But then I hear him exhale a loudly.

I think his situation is handled.

"I am waiting for you outside, and I want to show you something, so come out," he says, slightly impatient.

"That should better be worth it," I say, coldness hit my bare legs when I throw covers off of my body, "And if that thing loosely resembles anything phallic then the police will find your body inside the nearby sewerage line."

"Yes, you definitely need a filter."

Opening the door I get inside his car, which he has parked in the corner, obscured by darkness. 

"What do you want me to show?" I turn in my seat to face him, roughly grabbing my hair into a ponytail. 

Shifting slightly he stretches his arm towards the backseat, then hands me a jar.

I look at the jar in confusion then back at him. I open my mouth to speak, but he puts his finger on his lips motioning me to be silent and then point at the jar.

I bring the jar closer to my face and look inside it. Surely, there is something in it like flies and then it happens.

My mouth falls open in wonderment and awe, slowly a grin spread across my lips. I glance at him, he is looking at me with raised eyebrows and his lips twitched in a small smile.

"Holy Fu-"

"Language!" he rolls his eyes stopping me in mid-sentence. But I am too engrossed in watching little flickers of light inside the jar.

"Fireflies!" I whisper in awe.

"How did you get them?" I ask still keeping my eyes on the jar.

"I was just at the right place at the right time," he says without explaining anything further.

"They are so beautiful," I smile.

Worth sacrificing my sleep.

"Thank you," I look at him and smile, to which he just lightly shrugs with a smile of his own.

"You just wait here, I will be back in a moment," I open the door and dash inside the house, without waiting for him to reply.

Quickly, changing my slippers with my shoes I run outside the house taking my coat with me.

"Come on, let's go," I put on the belt as soon as I get inside the car, holding the jar securely in my lap.

"Where?" he asks, but nevertheless starts the car.