Chapter: 59

Alec's POV

A genuine smile forms on my face hearing these words from her mouth. 'Mine' she has utter this word with so much sincerity that it is hard not to believe her. The way she looks at me... the way her lips raise in one of her rare smiles... everything about her tells me she means every word she has spoken. 

The feeling of irritation rises inside me as somebody calls her and her eyes shift away from me. But then in the very next moment, it is gone when she settles against me. My arm involuntarily snakes around her waist pulling her more into my side. Leaning her head back on my shoulder she reaches for her drink.

Earlier I feared for her safety, that's why I decided to avoid her in front of everyone. But now it is not the same, she doesn't need a friend who can't acknowledge her in open. She needs someone who shows her she is cared for and be there for her not only when she is alone but also before everyone's eyes. She needs that assurance that she matters.

My eyebrows furrow in confusion when she lightly whines in a silent complain. 

"More," she says frowning at the almost empty glass in her hand as it will refill magically.

"What are you drinking?" I ask her.

"I don't know, something blue." She glances me, tilting her head to the side, "Has my tongue turned blue?" She asks sticking out her tongue while crossing her eyes to look at her tongue.

"Have I become a smurf?" She touches her face, "I will be Smurfette." She smiles to herself.

My eyes move to Jake who is looking a bit pale while staring at Avery. On the other hand, Kris is giving him a murderous glare.

"I think I may or may not have, accidentally, switched the drinks." He nervously looks at the similar-looking glass in Kris's hand.

No wonder her face is slightly flushed... she is intoxicated.

"Shit." Kris curses then focus back on Avery.

"Babes, are you okay? How are you feeling?" Kris rubs her shoulder.

"I can't tell you because I don't want to lie to you." Avery pouts.

"What do you mean?" Kris glances at me for a moment in a silent question then back at Avery.

"I am feeling weird, I should be happy that I am free but still I am feeling a little bit sad even when I have buried them,"  Avery speaks in a very quiet tone that Kris has to bring her ear near mouth to hear her properly.

Kris's eyes widen in realization as she understands what Avery meant. However, I am confused.

"It will take some time, but you will get over with it." Kris swallows as her eyes glaze over, "You are strong."

"Am I strong?" Avery asks herself with a pained smile, "Maybe, I am." She shrugs.

"I want to go home." Instantly, her mood changes, "I am fed up of people, now I want my solitude." She looks around with a distaste.

Maybe I will ask her later, what got her upset.

"How did she come?" I ask Kris.

"She drove here."

"Ummm... can you look into her pockets for the car keys?" I ask Kris. It feels completely wrong for me to search her pockets.

She laughs at probably my hesitation and nods.

Avery starts laughing loudly when Kris pats her pockets, then after a bit struggle, she manages to take out keys from her back pocket. 

"I will be taking her home and I will tell Henry to drive her car to her house." I take keys from Kris's hand and stand up, pulling Avery with me.