Chapter: 52

More than two weeks have gone by, and still, there is no news of Alec. Jake and Kris don't seem worried about his disappearance as they know he leaves from time to time to attend his work without informing anyone much about it. And I am not surprised that nobody asks him anything as he is really closed off person.

They told me it is perfectly normal for him to be out of town for days.

But this doesn't ease my worry. I am concerned about his safety, I have a strong hunch that he is involved in something dangerous which he is hiding from me.

When he will understand I am not going to judge him and there is no need for him to keep secrets from me. Even if I will not understand him then I will try to understand. But whatever he does, will never affect our friendship.

Since I was not in a mood to go to work, so after informing Pops I came to the cabin to spend the rest of the weekend here. However, I have to return home before evening as I remembered Kris's elder brother, James, has returned home for some time so he is throwing a party.

Kris's family has always been nice to me. So, when James invited me, I agreed to attend the party. James is almost five years older than us, and on many occasions got beatings because of us, so this is the least I could do for him. Kris and Jake will be there, so I don't think I will get much bored.

It is just that the person I want to meet will not be there. So, it sucks.

Leaning against the back of the couch I sigh loudly while rubbing my temples with my fingers. Something seems off today I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but since the time I have woke up, I have this weird feeling.

Just, after I have placed chopped logs in the fireplace, I hear a loud crash sound coming from upstairs which immediately sends me running towards mom and dad's room.

Opening the door, I see a medium-size metal box on the floor half-opened and its contents laying across the floor. Cupboard, near the bed, is tilting from one side because its foot has been broken. This box must have been placed above the cupboard, that is why it fell when the cupboard tilted.

Picking up the box, I see a dent in the wooden surface of the floor caused by the impact. Sitting on the floor I start picking up the rest of the things which mostly consist of papers. Some certificates of dad, some faded photographs of him and letters which he had written to Pops from his college days.

Pops might have kept all these things in this box when he had cleared my old house.

One particular letter gets my attention, as it doesn't look very old, and also I remember this paper from dad's writing pad, the one which he had on his desk. This must be the last letter which dad had written to Pops.

I know it is wrong to read someone else's letter, but this letter contains my dad's words. The words which I will never be able to hear. It will be like directly listening to him while he talks with Pops.

I hope he forgives me for reading his letter.

Pops never talks about dad much. Every time we talk about mom and dad, he always talks about both of them together. However, I hardly remember him telling me something, particularly about dad. It is always mom and dad.

He never told me how dad was during his childhood or what he liked to do, and what type of relation they shared. Now when I think of it, whenever I bring up anything about dad in our conversation, he subtly changes the topic.

Without thinking much I pick up the letter and let my eyes roam over the words written with black ink. I notice there are some points where he must have pressed the pen too hard on the paper.