Chapter: 38

Kris is leaning against my car, while Jake has his arm draped across her shoulder in a protective manner. Hearing my footsteps, her head spins into my direction and she runs towards me and tackles me into a bone-crushing hug. 

Welcoming the much-needed hug, I embrace her tightly trying to reassure myself that she is fine and in front of me. Thought of losing her in any way is too much to bear.

"I was so scared," she mumbles into my shoulder.

"Yeah, I know, I was too," I admit honestly.

"But at the same time, I wanted to smack you for dating that bastard." I pull back from the hug and frown at her, "What did you actually see in that dipshit?"

"Probably nothing." She shrugs, her lips slightly raising in a sheepish smile.

"But whatever happened was for good, because then I and Jake would not have been possible." She peered over her shoulder to look at Jake, who has a small smile playing on his lips as his eyes are filled with adoration.

"Thank you so much, Avery." Jake's smile turns into a grateful one, as he looks at me, "If you hadn't got there in time, God knows, what could have happened. I can't thank you enough for saving her." He gazes Kris with so much love, which speaks how much Kris matters to him.

"What the hell was going on your mind when you were provoking him to shoot you?" She glares and slaps my arm.

"Probably nothing, apart from the thought of keeping you safe and teaching him a lesson for attempting to hurt you." I shrug and honestly admit.

"I love you, but sometimes your anger scares me." Kris sighs as she links her arm into mine, as we walk to my car where Jake is standing.

"But I am little offended, sweetheart." His tone turns playful, obviously trying to breaking the seriousness around us, as he glances at Kris, "You called her, instead of me. You know these are not just for show." He points at his muscles and flexes his them, earning a giggle from Kris.

"Oh, dear, haven't you heard sisters before misters." Kris wraps her arm around me and arches an eyebrow at him. "I know I can trust this girl with my life, even today until you reached she was already about to put that bastard into his grave."

"When she has got my back, I don't think I need anyone else's protection. She is a freaking killing machine when she is mad." She proudly smiles at me, making me roll my eyes at her.

"No one can deny that." Jake smiles then frown when his eyes shift to my hands.

"You need to clean that." He points at my battered hands. Raising my hands I inspect them.

Yep, needs some thorough cleaning.

Kris and I are sitting on the bonnet of my car, as she wraps her one arm around my waist, and keeps her head on my shoulder. While Jake is patching up my hands standing in front of us.

"I can't believe at one point I used to think you would not even curse." He shakes his head as he cleans my knuckles. "I mean look at her innocent face? She looks too innocent even to harm a fly." He lightly laughs and points at me while looking at Kris. She nods her head with stifling a laugh.

"Looks can be deceptive," I smirk raising my eyebrow.

"I think you should show your hand to the doctor, there is slight swelling on your wrist." He continues to apply antiseptic cream.

"Nah, I think I will live, little icing and one painkiller that's what it needs." I shrug and flex my fingers feeling them a little stiff.

"How long have been since your cast has been removed?" He asks as he checks my wrist by applying little pressure, which makes me wince causing Kris to scowl at him.